2008 Programable Ignition

sherpa

anyone out there got one yet? are you experiencing any problems like for example occasional backfire when kick starting. Also, very little difference is noted betwen positions #1 and #2. can someone explain how all this works and during which conditions would a rider expect to gain good results on different types of terrain and obsticals.

anyone out there got one yet? are you experiencing any problems like for example occasional backfire when kick starting. Also, very little difference is noted betwen positions #1 and #2. can someone explain how all this works and during which conditions would a rider expect to gain good results on different types of terrain and obsticals.

Although I do not own one, I must admit that on the several rides I have had thus far on the '08, I am a bit miffed with it. Big button, little button, map 1 or 2 and not a lot of change in the mid range it seems, but to a top rider there should be a difference in the high revs, the rest of us mere mortals just leave it in low, which is the big button I think, seems I recall it labeled 2? Which should provide smoother low end and less kickback or backfire when starting.

Reports are that the stator plate can be adjusted just like the old ones should you want to smooth things even more. That is all I know! :closedeyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Have an 08 290 with Cab head, Keihin & Boysens.

Map 1 is normal. Map2 is slightly retarded. I've noticed on big straight shaley gravel hillclimbs 4th gear nearly wide open on map2 wont lift the front as much as map 1 so you can keep the throttle on. You dont want to back off in 4th.

Bike has big smooth even power but map2 would definitely help in the wet. Map1 most of the time.

There's an 08 bike test on tmxnews.co.uk thats worth a look.

Just in case anyone is interested, carb jetting differences between my old 2000 & 2008 were pilot-42, neadle clip 2nd from bottom, main 120 on the 2000 and pilot-35, neadle clip 2nd from bottom, main 120 on the 2008 with the same Keihin.

Dellorto carb also showed big differences on the pilot with 38 on 2000 and 33 on 2008.

This is at sea level in Australia. This just shows that all bikes can be quite different.

Just in case anyone is interested, carb jetting differences between my old 2000 & 2008 were pilot-42, neadle clip 2nd from bottom, main 120 on the 2000 and pilot-35, neadle clip 2nd from bottom, main 120 on the 2008 with the same Keihin.

So just to confirm, the only change was the pilot went from 42 down to 35 on a Keihin PWK28?

Best of balance.

Neo

Thats right. I tried a 40 but was still over 2 turns out on the air scew. Put a 35 in and now 3 quarters of a turn out with plenty of adjustment either way. This lets me richen up the neadle if i want and then slightly lean the air scew to compensate the overlap of the two circuits.