Dot Trials Bikes

britaxcooper

Hi,

I was told this is the place to be for the following...

(taken from a classic bike forum i use)

A family member has a Dot trials bike, its probably been stood since the 60s.

Its about mid 50's and ridged frame, 197 villers engine, steel tank. I dont think its anything special, although apparently it won the scot trials or certainly competed, maybe this was late 50s? I dont know if this could be proven.

Its in abit of a state and im trying to persuade him to get it out and then it can be restored.

Anyone any info on these? they must be quite rare even if theyre not valuable?

*edit* just looked on the DVLA site and its a 1953.

I know the reg so if theres any pictures somewhere?...

DOT's are not my speciality I'm afraid.

The early DOT comp bikes were called TD I think short for "Trials Dot".

There is a lengthy chapter on DOTs in Don Morley's book Classic Two Stroke trials bikes.

Fromthe photos there are a couple of rigid bikes numbers visible:

ECF 842

MET 517

He lists a couple of rigid factory registrations as well as KNB 904 & NRJ 802 from that era.

Big John

Thanks for the reply, the reg starts "HVY", i dont suppose you know what models were about then in '53?

That's a York CBC registration series. As DOT's were made in Manchester I doubt if it has a factory history, more likely to be a private buyer. No info to hand on 1953 bikes, sorry.

There was a chap in Hawick, an authority on DOT's, John Scott or "whispering John" as he was known, but sadly he passed away some years ago. Regularly appeared at the Beamish Trial, always on a DOT!

Of course there is Roy Enticknap, down in Surrey, but not sure what info he would have on early model DOT machines, he has quite a collection I believe

Big John

Edited by Big John

Thanks for the replys, Ive emailed the owners club so ill see if i get a reply back.

1953 Scott programme list 15 DOT's All Bar 5 from N.E 2 from manchester 1 from bedford 2 from penrith

Do you have any more info on these? Theres no chance of it being a "works" bike so it would certainly be someone privately entering. Next time i see the chap ill try and find out who owned it before him. I could write a letter to the DVLA, ive done it with a car before where they send you copies of all the old reg doc's with the owners names and addresses on. That might reveal who owned it before, but i wouldnt know where to look unless someone has some old programes.

• 4 weeks later...