Honda Tlr

stevieb

I have been looking for a good Honda TLR 250 to get back into Twin Shock Trials, I know they are hard to come by and I shall wait for the right one to come along. Can anyone tell me where I should be looking for such a machine, how much should I expect to pay for a good one, and any common problems to look for when buying a TLR250. Cheers Stevieb

• 2 weeks later...

Worst thing about the TLR 250 is the clutch. With the stock plates, it simply won't tolerate much abuse before it starts growling like a PO'd tomcat.

Luckily there is an easy fix. Replace the fibre plates with Barnett kevlar ones. You can then abuse the clutch to your hearts content.

Other than that, my TLR has been utterly reliable.

Bryan

I bought a new TLR 250 in Feb 86,had it just over a year.In that time it needed the clutch mods - which I did,BUT it also needed a cam chain,barrel,piston and the head and cam were shot too.I did 22 trials on it and it had Pro 4,changed after every other trial.Lovely looking bike,lovely sound,but it wasnt much good.The 241 Fantic that replaced it was loads better,but the Yam mono after that was the best of the lot.

Saying all that I'd buy another if it were not for the silly prices.I paid

TLR Tryalsman, I am interested in trying the Barnett Kevlar clutch plates but they do not list them for the TLR 250, do you know how to get them still or are they the same as a CR80 or CR125 perhaps, thanks

Hello,

The old Barnett part number for the friction plates is HPK-19.

The new number is 301-35-10008

They also fit a 1980-84 Honda XR-200

They work really well, I switched to them in Feb. 1991 (The month after I got the bike) That stock clutch is horrid.

I replaced them in 2000 and they're still going strong.

BTW I rode the hell out of the Honda during the time the first set was in the bike.

Bryan

• 1 year later...