Triumph Tiger Cub

spencer

I would like to convert a Triumph Tiger Cub for trials. I have two Triumph Tiger Cubs basket cases. I would like to know what should be done. What forks to use? What motor mods should I do? What aftermarket trials parts are there for a cub? One of them somebody had started to convert already it is a roller.

I presume your intention is to do AHRMA events as you are in the USA ? The most common forks are usually Betors from early Ossas. Bear in mind for AHRMA events no major component, frame,engine, forks may be later than 1974. With the Cub the two big essentials for the motor are, in my opinion, electronic ignition for reliability, and a good carb set up for performance.

I have 3 Cub articles on my blog;

"The Tiger Cub"

"Nursing a Cub"

"One Trick Cub"

They may give you some ideas of the challenges you face and the delights when you get it right!

Tony

Tony,

Yes, I would like to build an AHRMA legal Tiger Cub. Thanks for the reply. I read your Tiger Cub blog articles. I also read the Majesty ones. That is another bike I want to build. I have several TY's.

A Cub can be entered in Premier Lightweight which is a Pre65 class. "Modifications and major components are limited to those of the era, typical of machines in the 1960's." If you enter in Modern Classic you are good up to and including model year 1979. "Modifications and major components are limited to those of the era, typical of machines of the mid-70's."

http://www.ahrma.org/rulebook/08_handbook.pdf

for the current rule book.

cheers,

Michael

It seems like what you can do depends on if you want to run Premier Ltwt or Modern Classic. You could stick the engine in a late model Sherpa T chassis and be legal for MC, but not for PL. Anything you do for PL is automagically legal for MC.

An electronic ignition would be high on my recommendations, but then I imported and sold Lucas Ritas for about 14 years so I tend to have an opinion about the OEM points/advancers. :gay:

Mainly, on engines I tend to go for reliability modifications first and deal with performance after that. Luckily, trials is not as demanding as DT/RR/MX on having a "killer" motor. A reliable motor that is stock other than a good carb and ignition (as Tony recommends) with maybe a little more flywheel mass would seem to get you in the ballpark. Shoot to be as good as a stock TL125 Honda. You don't have to aim very high that way ;). If you are a good rider you should then be able to do well on the 3 line.

http://www.achnasheen.uk.com/tigercub.htm

has a modified Cub and

http://www.cubsite.com/Cubs.htm

has a forum for Cubs.

cheers,

Michael

Spencer,

Depends what parts you are looking for? Bj Racing can carry a good stock but you can often get them direct from Sammy Miller in the UK. Postage will be high but they usually arrive in 5 days. Another source is Speed & Sport in CA. If you need any of the phone numbers I have them.

Tony