Fork Geometry

spoke

Can anyone help with sorting out my Cub front end geometry. The question is how much Trail do you need for a trials bike? Currently the standard frame with heavy weight Triumph forks (no trick stuff here) has @5" of trail. The bike does not like tight turns in sections, pushes on and wants to fall in to the turn - could be a bit of a rider problem as well!

Looking at some websites on fork geometries it seems the less trail you have the easier it is to steer at slow speeds - sounds good. But how much is less?

Any ideas on what is a good figure to aim for and how best to achieve it i.e. steepen the frame head tube, different yoke offset, raise the rear end (already done this) etc.

Any help appreciated.

Spoke,

I know what you mean, and it may not all be down to the forks. Have a look on my web site at all the mods I have tried and it may help you setting up your bike to handle better.

3 articles;

"The Tiger Cub"

"Nursing a Cub"

"One Trick Cub"

Tony

Hi Guy's.

Hi Spoke.

Try fitting some longer rear unit's , or even find two length's of steel about one inch longer than the unit's you have on at the moment. Drill some holes and fit these to the bike then try it down hill and see if it makes the steering more positive, it may help you to decide. I have heard of people runing the bike slowly into a wall to alter the geometry of the steering. And I am not joking but I should not try that.

Hope this helps.

Regards Charlie.

ive chopped the frame to alter the rake , ive cut the top tube ,the 1 under the tank and lengthened it by 1 inch , this involves a fair bit of warming and bending of the front tube and the top tube

the cub now has about 4in of trail and has really improved the steering