Donner Youth Championship

I just got back from Donner, due to wife's vacation starting this weekend we could only do the first two days.

My boy Trevor and his friend Daniel competed I minding for Daniel, and Trev found some older woman who is top ladies rider over here to mind for him, after a good win on the first day he said he wanted me to stay minding for Daniel, he preferred the US ladies champ minder, I said don't worry, so do I.

I never got chance to see my lad ride as I was off looking after his mate on another course, but he did surprise me how steady his rides were and how he has improved over the last few months.

Some older youths were riding a rock near the pits warming up, next thing I know my lads going up it too, nothing like other kids to get them motivated.

What I saw of the sections and riding ability of the youths over the first two days impressed me and I don't think it will long before these young lads are knocking the current US champions off the podium.

One young lad I noticed going about his job quietly and working out lines with no minder to help him was Chad Redmond, and he ended up winning nicely on the first two days, hope he can win the overall championship it was a pleasure to watch the lad ride.

Great event made possible by Bill Markham and the pits club, hope it becomes an annual event, I know it improved my lads riding.

Thanks to all involved, and to the lovely lass for minding.

post-4-1092523906.jpg

Edited by ishy

Hey Ish, the great thing about the kids riding a youth event is that they pull each other along in a way that grownups can't get them to do. It's great for kids to see other kids riding and compete just amongst themselves. Kudos to Bill Markham for organizing this. He has come to TN the last 2 years to see what's going on and bring it to the west coast. We need more events for kids, as they motivate each other when they ride together. Kids will do great if we just get them together and then let them ride and have fun.

Hope to hear more news from Donner soon, I am keen to hear how our South African lads are doing in the Pro's on Sunday. Ray Peters set out to ride all the way there from TN on a 25 year old Suzuki road bike. I bet he has a sore ass by now, but no whining, he will be a true iron butt by the time he gets home.

regards,

Dan Brown

Hi Dan, I did see ray coming in on the old bike fri, all seemed to be fine but never got a chance to talk with him as we were just about to leave.

Has you say best way for kids to improve is ride more events against each other, it does look on the up over here, all we have to do is build it and they will come.