Oversize Valve Guides 1964 C15

nigelog

Hi All,

have a small oil leak from top of push rod tube so decided so that bike can stay running I would refurbish a spare head that came with it, so I could upgrade when I get round to repairing the leak. On inspection of the spare head and the removal of the valves (guides came with them) it turns out both valve guides were loose in the head, exhaust guide snapped in half at the line of a spring clip and the inlet valve spring broken. Looking down the inlet port it has been reworked with all of the aluminium boss for the guide removed and the guide was tapered to increase flow. This is a suggestion I have read in Rupert Ratios book but he did have a warning caveat regarding the complete removal of the boss completely due to less support for the guide.

Is this recoverable with the fitting of new oversize guides or a junker and I should have a look at the head on the bike. Also any suggestions as to where I could source matching valves/oversizeguides/springs or better still someone who could refurbish the head and return ready to fit.

I would be worried that it may repeat its valve guide disintergration possibly causing more damage than it is worth.

Any experiences/advice greatly appreciated.

Rgds