Peco Box Baffles For A 2 Stroke

bantworm

I have recently purchased a used peco style silencer box in steel, to adapt for my B175 and would like to know how much baffle is required for trials use. The reason I ask, is that the box at present, whilst packed, is straight through. I have located a small removable baffle which is available for quietening 4 stroke pipes on road bikes and wonder if it would fit the bill, or is it necessary to have the tailpipe offset from the inlet on the box on a stroker. I admit to having no real knowledge of silencers on trials machines and would appreciate comments please on the subject. Thanks. Steve

Hi Steve,

Straight through would be best, with a perforated tube packed on the outside with fibreglass silencer packing material. Baffles would be power restrictive and with a Bantam, you can't afford to lose any! From memory, exhaust/silencer volume is optimum at a ration of 12:1 of the swept volume, if you want to work that out. I remember Peco made silencers for the Villiers engined bikes, a year or two back now, were a bit noisey I read.

Bye, PeterB.

Hi Peter. Thanks for the pointers. I have stripped out the old fibreglass packing as the end cap is removable and intend to repack with loose fibre. I will do a bit of searching on the net regarding the Villiers that you mentioned as I dont yet understand how the calculations are made. The perforated tube is central in the box and is luckily the same bore as my 1 3/4 ins High level Bantam pipe. The tail pipe is the same diameter too, so think I will slim that down a little to 1 1/4" and extend it, as its a bit too short at present and exits right on a seat frame tube. I dont want to make so much noise as to make a pest of myself. Regards. Steve

Hi Steve,

That silencer tube is a pretty large diameter, I'd have used 20 to 25mm ID perforated tube with as much volume as possible. I read in a technical article somewhere that the exhaust silencer volume has an optimum ratio to the swept volume, that I think was 12:1 - best to look this up, try Google, maybe Tuning for speed by Phil Irving.

Bye, PeterB.

Hi Peter. Thanks for the help. I did think that the bore was rather on the large side. The internal tube is made from a steel sheet that has been drilled with holes across its surface and then formed into a tube, and, to my mind, does not have enough perforations to make the packing effective. I will have a hunt around to get something that will better suit. The luxury is that the box is all steel and therefore can be Mig welded and finished with linisher. Not a lot of dimensions out in trails land for exhausts for the ole Bantam. Regards. Steve :thumbup: