04 Sy250 Advice On Bike That Is Rarely Used.

nitjay - hrc

Hi guys,

I have not posted on here for probably almost a year now, because Iam now at University and as such cannot ride very often at all (maybe three times a year). I have an Sy250 (04) which at first I was going to sell but then changed my mind as its probably not worth that much being quite an old bike now. Anyway I was hoping to compete next weekend and have just gone and done some minor maintenance on it. I then fired it up and found the clutch was working but not enough to hold it still without an aggressive stall. I realise that bikes take time for the clutch to warm up but normally I just leave it to stand for five mins, pump the clutch a few times and off I go. Today I tried doing this three times in a row and it did not get any better.

I was wondering if the problem could be that the bike has been standing for probably close on 6months, and what sorts of things I should do when leaving the bike for such a long time. For instance I used to change Gbox oil regularly but due to the length of time in which i have not ridden I cannot remember when it was last changed.... is a Gbox oil change likely to make it better? Could the clutch need bleeding/topping up - if so how do I check that, it has been such a long time now and Iam very disappointed that I may not be able to ride as I cannot afford to change parts etc.

Thanks for your help.

Dom.

Ok a bit of an update....

I tried again at let the bike warm up for A LOT longer and then it worked fine, so Iam thinking it must just be where its been standing, but thanks for the help anyway. I am still interested in finding out things I can do to keep my bike in good condition whilst it is standing.

Thanks