Hey Up From Yorkshire

liam_m25

Thinking about getting into trials riding and a guy from another forum pointed me here.

At the minute I can't afford a bike and all the gear but as soon as I can I'll get it all sorted.

What would you guys say is the best way to get in to it?

Tar

Hi Liam, and welcome!

I'm fairly new here, but it's a cracking forum.

I'm getting back into it after a break but can still remember getting into it the first time. You certainly don't need a lot of money, that's for sure. The best thing is to simply get out and have a go.

My advice is to look in the what's on and go and watch a trial. You'll find it very low key. Make sure you don't get obsessed by watching the superstars (!) on the hard route, but pay attention to the clubmen and novices on the easier route. Talk to people too. They'll have lots to say and good advice.

Then, when you've had time to absorb it, join your local club. It's usually cheap (less than

I don't think it matters! I bought the Fantic because it was all I could afford! Certainly, modern bikes are easier to ride, but for the easier route, anything will be fine. Certainly aircooled monos are more than adequate if you're on a budget.

I've just bought a 2001 Beta and expect it will be far better than me in the sections. Mind you, a wheelie bin will almost certainly be better than me...

:D

woa thirty quid to join a club.. never paid more than a fiver..

watch a few trials learn the ropes understand what level you'd feel comfortable riding, which clubs offer that level and are they local..

observe a few trials you'll see evrey rider taht way and learn that not everery body is good not everey body is bad but they all enjoy it ( you might even earn a few quid as well while observing,, no qualifications required just turn up on the day and commit to stay on the section all the trial)

buy a mass produced bike that parts are easily available for and reasonably cheap.. you want to ride trials not spend time in the garage and down the parts shop

age of the bike is never the issue condition is every thing...

Can't think of any local club that charges more than a tenner to join. If you are in Yorkshire it's pretty easy to find a trial on somewhere in the area. This weekend Horsforth have their Charity trial down at Tong. It's a Saturday trial as Nobody runs on Rememberence Sunday and starts at noon if I remember right.

Yes, I'd better clear that up! I don't ADVISE DMs! I was impoverished at the time and it's all I had! I was kindly offered some second hand (foot) alpinestars at the trial by someone who took pity!

Good protection is definitely wise, but like B40RT says, don't feel self conscious and don't think you need the latest tackle and a lycra suit in order to give it a go!