Burman 4speed For Ajs/matchless

pat

Hi,

Will try to seal my Burman 4speed ~95%(for AJS/Matchless 1949).

Outside cover, replace bushes, for kickstart- and gearlever axles, with shorter ones to make room for modern seals.

Have any one of you done a similar mod on gearboxes that requires grease/oil mix?

Final sprocket axle is allready sealed, hope its possible to replace it with a modern one.

Faces, well I dont know if fibre gaskets are available, either special order or instead use some brand bond or blue, orange loctite, no leaks..;-)

Cant see why not single- or multi grade could work after this improvement.

Edited by Pat

Gday, I tried this on the CP in my Square 4, unsuccesfully. The main hope was to use just oil, but it proved too difficult in the end so I went back to grease/oil. Certainly removing the gaskets and using a good quality sealer helps, dont use common silastics, the best are either Loctite flange sealant (cant remember the number) which will remain fluid outside the joint so dont let that fool you into thinking it hasn't gone off, or even better is 3 Bond (also sold as Yama Bond from yamaha dealers), there are many grades, go with the Grey case sealant which many if not all manufacturers use on their bikes. Make sure you are not reducing any end float by removing gaskets. I cant remeber if this is the case as it has been years since I did mine, possibly the shift case gasket to the main case may help control end float on the 2 shafts.

HTH,

Cheers,

Stork.