C15c On Evilbay

alan

Hi,

Calling all BSA experts, thinking about building another pre 65 trials bike,

would the C15C make a good starting point?

Seems to have been designed as a scrambler,(looks like a stronger frame than the road bikes) so i guess had higher compression and a bigger cam ?

I'm no BSA expert but for what it's worth I really wouldn't bother with that bike as a starting point for a Pre65 trials bike. The engine and gears may be totally unsuitable for trials use, the frame does look big and heavy (or heavier, the original C15 frame is no lightweight...) I think it would take a lot of modifying and a lot of what you buy would end up scrapped and replaced with more suitable components.

First things that come to mind are:

- Modifying the frame to increase the ground clearance which means raising the bottom frame tubes and the engine mounts

- Lowering the rear subframe assembly by cutting off the seat frame tubes/rear loop, removing a couple of inches or so out of the uprights to the shocks and then welding the seat tubes/frame loop back on again in a lower position to get lowered seat height.

The frame mods don't sound much but it takes a fair bit of work to do it, I've just done something similar with my C15

- Removing all unecessary lugs and brackets

- Scrapping the big hubbed chrome rimmed wheels for something more suitable

- Scrapping the forks which are rusty and no good anyway even if they weren't

- Scrapping all the electrics and fitting a PVL

- Scrapping the shocks for trials units

- Scrapping the oil tank and seat for items suitable for trials

Probably more that doesn't come immediately to mind.

So assuming you get it for the starting price of

That sounds like sensible advice to me.

I also have a C15 rotting away in the yard and too far gone even when I acquired it to restore as a road bike. I'm still debating whether to do something a little crazy. that is grafting the Engine into a Bultaco M80 frame I have which is registered BUT I bought it (M80) as a few boxes of bits and the last owner had cut out all the engine mounts and bottom frame tubes with the intent of putting something else in himself.

I think it's just our nature to want to build specials often, even if we are really 30-40 years too late. I find the term fiddle parts very amusing and of course with some smart thinking and application of good engineering any thing is possible, almost.

I do recall may years ago Jeff B when he still worked at SM's asking me to guess what the Roadholders really were in SM's HT5 parked up in the shop just by loading up the front end. It was obvious being a bultaco kind of guy that the action was all Betor. I couldn't of given a damn really that there "might" be an attempt to deceive, I was more annoyed that good betors were being turned to oblivion to fit them in the roadholders!

I'd have machined all new internals to try get the same action.

I've been out of the loop too long now and I guess I've missed all the tricks going on, but I can understand it, especially being an engineer myself and naturally wanting to improve stuff.

Wayne.....

many thanks fellows,

Seems sensible advice, not been a BSA expert i was not sure if this was a hidden gem..

I have been bitten once by buying a supposedly sorted bike only to discover it was a lash up. I guess I am looking for either a basket case or some thing with a proven history.

Many thanks

do you want to sell your c15 engine wayne?

I wouldn't do that to an enemy! I know for a fact the crank flywheels are cracked around the crankpin. I'm still waiting for a good crankshaft to show up somewhere, not actually looked too often though.

I still think It'll make a good project for me sometime in the future.

Wayne....