Newbie Needs Help!

catfishman

Hi all.......... new to trials and new to the site........ me and my lad, well.. he's 27 and 6'4" :thumbup: ..... have just aquired two Aprillia Climber 280rs. Before we set off into the wilderness to break some bones :) , I would like to service/maintain the bikes. Does anyone know where I can get hold of a workshop manual for these?.... I already have the exploded parts detail of the rotax engines.... its more the frame/forks/oils/suspension etc etc I am looking for........ copies/PDF/parchment all more than welcome

Cheers and heres hoping!

Dave & Dan

• 3 months later...

I am looking at buying a Climber of around 1992 vintage and still a little unsure. Having read here about the forks and seals and other minor problems and I just wonder if there another bike that might easier to maintain or either get the spares that you might need. Of course I am sure this part of the site will give me perhaps a bias view on Aprillia s but perhaps I need convincing that during this era of trials they were as good as Beta Fantics etc .

Also sourcing a bike in the Uk, what sort of prices do they range from if and when they come on the market.

Thanks in advance.

You have not picked the most forgiving bike to start out on! The 280 can be a bit of a handful compared with the 240, but what is done is done. I used to have a 91 280R and found that the motor was pretty bulletproof, in fact apart from regular servicing I never had to touch it. The weak point on the bike I found was the front forks, namely the seals. After the original set started to leak I never succesfully found a set that really lasted any length of time. Thought I'd sussed it once as I found that the sliders were oval when measured but even a new set never really cured the problem. They are also a little on the heavy side compared to othre marques of a similar vintage, whilst in fact this may not be the case on the sclaes it certainly felt like it! You can also change the characteristics of the motor by playing around with different rotary valves. Over the years they changed the shape a few times and I accumulated quite a collection of different ones, you can even move them on the spline and again alter the way the motor delivers it's power

You don't mention where in the world you are but if the USA I found the Tryals Shop to be very helpful

Edited by peter9000uk

Me and my lad both have 280r Aprilia climbers and have come to the conclusion that although there are more modern and flashier bikes out there, they are far better bikes than I will ever be rider!!... this was brought home by a mate of mine who could do amazing things on my bike......... nI was not happy as I was using the age of the bike as an excuse for not being very good and for perhaps looking to buy a newer bike!!

They are really tough old bikes and the engines are just about bomb proof. The power is really smooth in delivery and the torque is something else!!.... they are almost impossible to stall and will climb up just about anything once it has torn your arms from their sockets!..... the clue is in the title I guess!.

I bought the climber as my first trials bike because of the price. I do not regret the decision in any way, it has served me very well indeed

True they are a bit heavier than more modern bikes and maybe not so nimble....... but they are reasonably cheap to buy, but getting bits can be something of a mission......... having said this I have just bought another climber for spares and will be breaking the bike up.... so if you need any bits why not get in touch!

You can expect to pay anything between