Villiers 37a Questions

farmer58za

Hi All

I'm going through the Villiers 37A motor on my Cheetah trials bike. I have a couple of queries :

1) There seems to be no gasket between the armature plate and the crankcase. I can't see one on the Villiers parts manual and repair manual either. There just was a smear of red hermatite gasket sealer on the mating halves when I took them apart. What is the correct way to re-assemble them?

2) There is a second coil in the left hand side of the armature plate which I presume is a lighting coil. The ignition coil is on the right hand side. Can someone please confirm this.

3) The gearbox and primary chaincase have oil filler and level indicator screws. Will SAE 30 oil filled to the level screws be ok for both?

Finally, this is the first time I've ever worked on a Villiers Motor. Everything seems straightforward but is there anything that I should know that the manual does not tell you.

Thanks in advance.

David

Correct

Again correct but if the ign. coil plays up use the 9 o'clock position lighting coil to power an external HT coil.

TQF for the clutch, 80/90 gear oil for the gearbox.

ALWAYS slacken off the small nut on the inner clutch case above the F/D sprocket BEFORE slackening off the centre nut, same for the gearbox to crankcase stud under the engine.

Good luck with the Villiers.