Kickstarter Ring Cracked Aprilia 280

canadianstrom

Hello all

Looking for advice on the best plan of action to repair/ replace my kickstarter ring ( the part that clamps onto the splined shaft coming out of the transmission). I noticed it was cracked into 2 peices . I had previously noticed the kick starter hitting the skid plate at the bottom of the kick stroke so I ground away some of the plate. It doesn't really engage until it the kick lever is parallel to the ground. Is it possible to advance the shaft ( counter clockwise ) when remounting the repaired kickstarter so it engages sooner and stops before hitting the skid plate ? or is this normal and not really what caused the crack?

As to repairing the crack it looks like cast aluminum, can it be welded ? or is there a repair part commonly available? I am in Canada , shipping for other parts have been expensive and would like to scrounge locally but very few of these bikes were imported into canada.

thanks for any info or ideas

Wally

just to update, took part to local welder, he said it wasn't aluminum, welded it , and i got out for my first real ride of the season yesterday. I also ground off more of my skid plate so it doesn't contact till the 6 oclock position, it had been hitting at the 5.

• 2 weeks later...