Front Brake

mac

Yeah there was a mod whereby a different brake plate from an old yz (i think) was used, this had an external brake arm and was a definate improvement. Seem to remember Big John mentioning that Birkett used to sell em, may be availble from a breakers now though.

Failing that disc it up! Gateway engineering and Talon used to do kits but again a breaker might be able to source a "pinky" front end.

Hope that made sense and was of some use :D

Birkett's definitely did a different brake plate for the mono so worth a call to clarify whether it was the YZ mod that some people did or something different.

Several people in our area fitted the Gateway disk conversion when they were new and to be honest they weren't much of an improvement over the drum brake, if at all, according to those that had them. We had no experience of the Talon conversion so can't comment. Shirty also offered one I think but again can't comment.

Ellastone off-road breakers who advertise in TMX are worth a call if you want to convert to disk as they have broken a few mono Yams so may be able to help out with the pinky disk job.

I have tried all the normal fixes, shoes, grooves, sanding shoes and drums, etc. etc. Have never tried the change from single leading shoe to doulbe leading shoe.

Then I looked into fitting forks etc from an older eta or Fantic. Rake & trail issues there.

Finally I fell into a very easy conversion: I fittted a 2000+- GasGas front wheel and 4 piston caliper to the Yam. I made a bracket that pilots on the axle, takes the torque reaction via the original lug on the Yam fork. It works great, doesn't require welding, and the original drum front wheel and drum can be put back on if desired.

downside: bracket is steel, all I can weld. It is heavy. Alsi, the wheel is not quite centered, maybe 1 to 2 mmm offset to one side. I can't teel any difference.

I made axle spaces to fit the ID/OD and distance differences. (Actually, so far they are washers and hand made bushings. I have the dimensions, just don't have the machine work source yet.

I changed tohe caliper bolts to button head allen screws to get a couple mm more clearance, trimmed the lug on the Yam fork a bit, and the wheel is closely centered.

I love it. Works great, all the parts are modern instead of old Fantic or something, and I can always rob it back to supply the GG with a wheel.

I will post a couple pics tonight. I am at work.

kcj

Guest Yamaha_dude

On my TY my dad was riding it up intet village to get newspaper... :P anyway front brake locked up smashed and threw him off the front, he was ok but the front drum wasnt.

Now it had an internal arm and we tried to find another like this but couldnt, we ended up getting an external armed brake of a crosser i think it may have been a yz, but anyway the braking was alot better.

Hope this helps

:banana: YD :banana:

Several people in our area fitted the Gateway disk conversion when they were new and to be honest they weren't much of an improvement over the drum brake, if at all, according to those that had them. We had no experience of the Talon conversion so can't comment. Shirty also offered one I think but again can't comment.

I fitted one of Shritys disc conversion's to my then 'new' 1990 TYR, the brake was worse than the drum brake it replaced!!

Cost

Edited by Marky G