Youth Minders

nigel dabster

Basically the reason it was stopped was due to numbers. A couple of years ago there were close to a hundred riders at Youth Nationals. Add in another hundred minders and it gets too crowded. The numbers now are still respectable with about 50 to 60 starting at the next A & B national so it might be possible to allow them but then you have the problem if numbers rise again. It's why the British Nationals limit the number of riders.

I think the original idea was so riders wouldn't have a minder at every section.

It should be the rider that does the decision making on where he goes, makes it fairer to all the riders if there is no minders and I dare say probably a lot more enjoyable for a few of them.

I thought it was to keep the sport affordable to all. Not just for those who can afford multiple bikes. Also not all parents ride a bike so those that don't would then be at a disadvantage.

While we are on the subject when did it become acceptable for parents to go in the sections showing riders the line, kicking out rocks, trying to influence the observer, holding bikes in queues whilst little johnny looks at section, etc etc. And this is just at club and centre trials. I guess its worse at Nationals. From what i have seen some parents are getting too big for their boots and their kids are following in their footsteps!!

I thought only the rider could get the bike round the course and only the rider was allowed in the section unless to catch with the observers permission. The idea of parents on bikes as well. Not good!!!

100% correct it's happening all to often at centre and club trials,personaly i blame the new rules,the queing recently has being worse,riders should be warned once and excluded if parents are in sections kicking rocks round ,i have nothing against anyone catching,someone stood on a big step can be a big help for any rider ,but all the half a tyre left stuff at club level is a joke.