Problems Electronic Ignition Cota 242

jesus sanz

Hello,

I am preparing a 242 Montesa Cota for Classic trials. I have worked a lot in it because I love drive but I love more tune and prepare it.

The bike has many special parts made in duraluminium and diverse modifications to make the drive more light, more easy to drive and less tiring because I'm ggetting a bit older.

I have ever thinked that the old points ignitions can't work really well in all the rpm range. I read and advertisement on the net about The Norton Villiers "LITTLE DEMOM" electronic ignition. The advertisements explains " There is an inbuilt advance curve which allows the motor to run at extremely low rpm"

This phrase gained my interest and I decided to buy one. To adapt the unit I send a Montesa 242 ignition base plate. In a short time I received the new unit. An aluminium disc with the pick-up and a bobin is welded over my old backplate. I mounted the assembly in a medium advance position and installed all, the system new bobin, and the electronic module. Ii starts at first attempt.

The machine starts nicely with no kickback, but the engine has becomed terribly soft. I modify the advance to the maximum that permited the backplate... and beter, but no good.

New dismantling. Carefully, in a lathe, I separed the ignition plate of the backplate and welded again with more advance. This time the bike has ricovered his original punch with a plus of smoothnes in low rpm, but, Oh surprise