Best Two Stroke Oil

ausy300pro

I am just about to finish the rebuild of my TY175 engine, have had it bored and tightened the piston to cylinder clearance up, I intend careful running in and hope the better piston fit will quiten down the noisy engine. question is, has anyone experience with using a better quality oil to help prevent a seizure whilst piston is fully run in, I was thinking of Castrol A747 or XR77 just for the first ten or so hours of running (it also has new mains) any recommendations appreciated, ps I then intend running it on Castrol TTS (after flushing the castor based oil out of course).

I agree with TTS under normal conditions thats my oil of choice, the thing is the castor based oils are a better bet for seizure prevention and as I am running tight clearances thats what is important to me, I want to know if anyone has used A747, RX77 or equivalents from other oil companies ? just for running in, (about a dozen hours or so) then it will be on TTS, Thanks

For running in you can use TTS or a good mineral-based or semi-synthetic 2 stroke oil. Run a stronger brew than what you would use for normal running. I use 25:1 for running in. If you use castor based oil to run in, or in normal use, you run an increased risk of forming gummy deposits in the ring grooves, and carbon deposits on the piston crown and in the head.

Most importantly when running in the rings to the bore is to start with very short gentle runs, stopping the motor before it gets hot and letting it cool down before starting it again. This process is to let the rings bed into the bore without cooking things. The runs will gradually get longer until you can ride it gently continuously without getting the motor too hot. A good guide for the initial runs is to stop riding when the cylinder fins get too hot to put the palm of your hand on them (approx 60 degrees if you have a suitable thermometer)

If you have been a bit fanatical with the clearance, it might be a good idea to whip the barrell off after the initial running-in, and remove the high spots from the piston.

I would regard TTS as being just as good at resisting piston/bore and ring/bore seizures as castor based oil, and much less likely to cause other problems.

It may be too late for your rebore, but some brands of TY175 piston are noiser than others. The quietest TY175 piston I have tried is the PRO-X and the noisiest was Wiseco, both bored to the piston manufacturers recommended clearance.

I have just bored my 247 cota to a tightish 3 thou ring gap and run it on 35/1 fully synth oil and did a trials comp on it after a 10 minute gentle run without any problems . If you use a good oil you will be fine

Dave

For running in you can use TTS or a good mineral-based or semi-synthetic 2 stroke oil. Run a stronger brew than what you would use for normal running. I use 25:1 for running in. If you use castor based oil to run in, or in normal use, you run an increased risk of forming gummy deposits in the ring grooves, and carbon deposits on the piston crown and in the head.

Most importantly when running in the rings to the bore is to start with very short gentle runs, stopping the motor before it gets hot and letting it cool down before starting it again. This process is to let the rings bed into the bore without cooking things. The runs will gradually get longer until you can ride it gently continuously without getting the motor too hot. A good guide for the initial runs is to stop riding when the cylinder fins get too hot to put the palm of your hand on them (approx 60 degrees if you have a suitable thermometer)

If you have been a bit fanatical with the clearance, it might be a good idea to whip the barrell off after the initial running-in, and remove the high spots from the piston.

I would regard TTS as being just as good at resisting piston/bore and ring/bore seizures as castor based oil, and much less likely to cause other problems.

It may be too late for your rebore, but some brands of TY175 piston are noiser than others. The quietest TY175 piston I have tried is the PRO-X and the noisiest was Wiseco, both bored to the piston manufacturers recommended clearance.

Your comment about the PRO-X piston being the quietest is interesting,never heard of them.The only downside of the rebuild I did on one of my TY250 twinshocks about 3 yrs ago is the amount of top end noise - very disappointing after such a careful build.The only piston I could get at the time was an unbranded aftermarket one.It did not inspire confidence on close inspection - but it was all I could get.It runs beautifully and pulls well,but the top end rattle is not good.Its bad enough that if I went to look at it with a view to buy,I would use the noise as a lever to drop the price.

So where can I get a PRO-X piston kit ?

Well the job is now done with a piston from nige birkett, I am really hoping it is not too noisy but don't hold out too much hope as we had to give it more clearance than I really wanted due to fact that piston has more taper on it from crown to bottom of skirt than was expected, I agree it is so disappointing to do a full and meticulous rebuild only to end up with a noisy engine, I have been told that it may be due to the cut outs in the side of the piston in the gudgeon pin area trapping gas from the transfer ports and creating the knock that sounds like piston slap, I know this varies on different pistons so that is a possibility as to why some pistons are quieter than others or it may be due to the amount of taper.

Edited by ausy300pro

Your comment about the PRO-X piston being the quietest is interesting,never heard of them.The only downside of the rebuild I did on one of my TY250 twinshocks about 3 yrs ago is the amount of top end noise - very disappointing after such a careful build.The only piston I could get at the time was an unbranded aftermarket one.It did not inspire confidence on close inspection - but it was all I could get.It runs beautifully and pulls well,but the top end rattle is not good.Its bad enough that if I went to look at it with a view to buy,I would use the noise as a lever to drop the price.

So where can I get a PRO-X piston kit ?

The TY250 is a different kettle of fish to the TY175 re pistons. The Wiseco TY250 piston is nice and quiet and well priced so i've never bothered trying others. PRO-X piston are made usnig the same machines that made the OEM pistons for jap bikes like the TY175. I bought mine through a relative of mine who is an engine builder but will find out who is importing them. I think it is someone in Western OZ.

The TY250 is a different kettle of fish to the TY175 re pistons. The Wiseco TY250 piston is nice and quiet and well priced so i've never bothered trying others. PRO-X piston are made usnig the same machines that made the OEM pistons for jap bikes like the TY175. I bought mine through a relative of mine who is an engine builder but will find out who is importing them. I think it is someone in Western OZ.

This should help

http://www.pro-x.com/eng/default.htm?products.htm~ProxMain