Bsa B40 Or Ariel Ht5

bobtlr

Hey,

i want to build a pre 65 trials bike, the bike has to be competitive on Europeen pre 65 trials.

not sure wat to choose i was thinking B40 or Ariel 500 as that is wat the pre 65 experts ride in europe, i don't want a 2stroke (i can't ride one i'm to used to 4stroke power)

but i'm not sure what's the easiest to build. I found more info on building ariels but a B40 is probebly cheaper and easier to find parts? most people say the B40 is the easiest bike to ride and a bit lighter than an ariel (over here the pre 65 bikes are no semi modern specials like in the UK)

no one rides ajs or matchless on the expert route, are these bikes harder to ride than an ariel?

i have tought about a tiger cup but they are only 200 cc and my tlr 250 is sometimes lacking power and speed (especially on the route, in sections it's ok)

so many questions any help is welcome

regards bob

Hi Guy's

Hi,Bob

Now I think I have said before. If you are building a BSA b40 you need a ex military engine, IE one with GB in the engine number for us, but there were others around the globe.. Now if you could get some sense out of the Faber boys you could buy one of there frames and a couple of "Bantam" wheels or hubs, a tank from Terry Weedy along with silencer, air cleaner, and kickstart even alloy guards,and you could build a competitive bike in know time. well if you worked on it all the time!!! Now a Ariel is a bit more of a lengthy process a lot more expensive and finding all the bits is a Bitch ( do you know where you can find a 500 cylinderhead?) gearboxes need work to seal them and get the right ratios,an expensive clutch and drive is a must. and you may have to wait for a frame to be built, but there again you may get one quicker than for the B40 from Faber (where are the Pics Howard?) So you see it is not straight forward so you must decide.

Regard's Charlie.

Hi Bob, whatever you decide, the uk is the place to get it.

The parts are easier to get there and not as expensive as here on the continent. Experience will tell you that buying a finished or part finished bike is cheaper than starting with a bare frame. I think also a bsa will be miles cheaper than an ariel (one on ebay for 5000 pounds at the moment).

if you want to go pre 65, think about a two stroke also. The dkw and jawas are easier to get (here) than 4 bangers and will be very light when finished. Also bantams are available on ebay readily in the uk and a full engine rebuild on a bantam is about 1000

Edited by Lee Harris