Ty175 Clutch Mods

ausy300pro

has anyone lengthened the clutch arm to give a lighter and more progressive action, I know it can't be lengthened much as there is not much room but would have thought it could be lengthened enough to make clutch feel better. (I rode mine yesterday for first time and found clutch a little heavy and was either in or out), before anyone suggests that clutch has a problem it is not that has it is all in as new condition including plates, drum, cable, pushrod, ball, mushroom etc. Thanks for any info.

If a TY175 clutch feels heavy, then there is something wrong. They are light as a feather when standard with standard lever and high quality cable.

Yes the takeup is sudden if you are used to bikes with a wide engagement.

You didn't mention the type of lever you are using. There is quite a variation between different lever designs as far as lever ratio goes.

Are you sure the right springs are in it?

You didn't mention the condition of the cam. They do tend to pit which increases friction, and the case lever arm position moves away from the ideal.

Yes must admit I have not checked the condition of the cam, I will take that out today and have a look, just wanted to know if anyone has extended the arm with any effect, the levers are new but not sure what make, would you have any recommendations for lever make ?

Yes must admit I have not checked the condition of the cam, I will take that out today and have a look, just wanted to know if anyone has extended the arm with any effect, the levers are new but not sure what make, would you have any recommendations for lever make ?

The closest thing I have found overall to the original TY levers in quality, shape and lever ratio are clutch lever assemblies from the Suzuki RM80X. They are not cheap.

Some aftermarket levers have a similar lever ratio but I don't know how to specify them by brand as there are so many similar lever types, all unbranded and made in China and with quite a range of lever ratios. What you are looking for is a lever with a measurement from the centre of the pivot to the line of action of the cable of about 20mm.

To answer your other question, yes plenty of people have lengthened the arm on the cam on TY175s, but it makes little difference to the leverage ratio because they don't also move the cable holder to match.

Levers called (three-way adjustable) are available that have an extremely high leverage ratio, providing a similar effect to a properly modified cam lever arrangement. I think John Cane sells them.

I still reckon though that a well set up standard clutch on a TY175 is very light to use.