C15 - Installing Small Trans Gears

mcman56

The small (17 tooth) gears on each of my C15s transmission shafts is a press fit on the splines. I used a gear puller to get them off. What is a good way to press them back on? I tried tapping with a hammer but they got stuck. Then I tried using a mill as a press and snapped off the hand lever (3/8"). I can see that the gear was not going on straight. It seems like they need to be pressed on very straight. Thanks!!

was that a bridgport turret mill? you'll probably need to clock the head again as well as fix the lever. Have you tried heating one whist freezing the other part. i.e put the shaft in freezer for vcouple hours and put blowlamp on the gear for a couple ninutes ..the gear will expand and probably just about fall onto the shaft. good luck ..bart

I'll give heat a try. Thanks for the thought on checking the mill head. It is a China copy and it would be a good idea to verify. The handle is only 3/8 and broke at a thread so hopefully there was not enough force to move the head.

Since the press fit is standard, I'm just surprised there is not a special tool for the job.

Edited by mcman56