New Bultaco Sherpa Owner

rogerb

Hi I'm Roger B from London and have just bought a 1973 Bultaco Sherpa on E-bay.

I intend to use it during Winter for daily commuting into central London (about 14 miles round trip) and also occasional trials.

I need to register it and fit lights, speedo and a horn (Halfords bike horn?).

Does anyone know where I can get a lighting kit?

Also would appreciate your feedback on whether it's practical or not?

I realise it won't be very comfortable but it's a short ride.

Roger B

Hi Roger B,

Take it from a guy who has been there done that!

I was once younger than I am just now (believe it or not), go back 32 years, I used to ride my Bultaco Sherpa T Mod. 80 as often as I could on the road, in trials, hell I even took it to school one day because I didn't have the bus fare handy!

But to ride a trials bike through London to work, it's got to be a chore after a while.

Great for nipping in and out of traffic, provided the bars don't snag on door mirrors, but you will get seriously p****d off with it after a while.

I would buy a more suitable scoot for the purpose, there are other ways of enjoying a Bultaco, believe me, it's seriously off road only!

However it reminds me of a nice story from around 1975/76. Toshi Nishiyama from Japan rode a 325 Sherpa in the SSDT, he then geared it up at Comerfords and rode the bloody thing to a trial in Germany. God that must have taken him ages to get to his destination!

Big John

I used to ride my Ossa to school, never in the dark so didn't need lights, but I was 16/17 then and didn't think twice. My mate also used to ride his TL125 to work and back. However, no way I would even contemplate it now. Traffic is far worse now, the lights on the Sherpa are going to be like 1960s xmas tree fairy lights or candles at best and if it's dark and raining you probably are not going to be seen and get wiped out.

I used to ride my Ossa to school, never in the dark so didn't need lights, but I was 16 then and didn't think twice (about a licence either) My mate also used to ride his TL125 to work and back. However, no way I would even contemplate it now. Traffic is far worse now, the lights on the Sherpa are going to be like 1960s xmas tree fairy lights or candles at best and if it's dark and raining you probably are not going to be seen and get wiped out. On a proper road bike you are at least sitting high enough to see around and over cars, on the Sherpa you will be below roof height, again hiding you from other road users. I don't think the police would like it much either these days.

On the plus side I guess in a traffic jam you could do a 'Freebie and the Bean' and ride over the cars instead of sitting in queues....

I'd also suggest buying something purpose made.