New To The Scene, Looking For Some Input

djbordie

Hello everyone!

I come from street riding/stunting on sport bikes.

Love watching trials, figured i would give it a shot.

Seems to be a decent scene just north/east of toronto, luckily i have a cottage out that way. I hear some indoor evens go on in Lindsay ontario over the winter, very cool.

Where do i start?

Im looking at a few bikes (very hard to find trials bikes in Canada im guessing...)

Aprilia Climber 280 1993

and

Yamaha TYZ 250 1996

I hear the aprilia is very heavy, may be discouraging for a newb? or are all bikes from this era heavier than normal...

if the TYZ is noticeably lighter, id go with that, im used to lightweight flickable bikes...but then again i think anything will be extremely light compared to a 400lb sport bike.

both in my price range, the aprilia is about 700$ cheaper than the TYZ...

wondering if its worth the extra dough to buy a TYZ?

Any Motesa i have seen has been $2500+ for a 1997+

Any suggestions would be helpful, im 5'10" 180lbs.

Thank you,

Cant wait to start riding!

Edited by djbordie

There are a number of Trials dealers in Ontario, and the Canadian National Championship Trial was held in

in Mansfield a couple of weeks ago - check the trialscanada.com or WEC sites for more info. - The Aprilia might be difficult

to get parts for, but TYZ stuff can still be supplied.

Outlaw Dave

thanks for the reply Outlaw dave...im dave too btw hah.

im really having a tough time finding anything in ontario, found only 2 dealers. Not much used selection.

Im going to keep trying.

Anyone know the weight on the TYZ? its gotta be less than the aprilia by reputation, but im curious to know the difference.

• 3 weeks later...

The tyz came out after the aprilia and was a bit lighter. The current scorpas acutally use the tyz engine and transmissions so parts would be easier to find than the tyz. The aprilia is heavier and turns larger but there are a lot of bikes out there for the 2000 dollar range a lot newer. We are just here across the bridge from windsor and I see bikes pass by all the time. Being from toronto you may want to look this direction in craigs lists. Also search rochester ny or ithca ny. Lots of trials there too. Most of these bikes only have a bill of sale and I cross to niagra falls from detroit all the time with mine. They just ask if its comming with me and do i own it. Sure i say and i go on my way. I know its a haul but we have an event about 30 mins outside of detroit comming up soon. May want to come for a look.

www.motatrials.org We have a whole windsor club as well that may be able to keep an eye out for you.

Generally speeking a 2000 bike runs you from 1800 to 2000 us dollars possibly less over here.

--Biff