Eddy's Rtl(s)

malcra

Doing some research for my neighbour Gav, and looking for info for you in the know (or who have a copy Four-Stroke Finale)

What year/season did Eddy LeJeune ride an RTL for the first time ? and does anyone know what the UK registration number (if it was UK) ? I am assuming on a B or a C plate ?

He moved to the 360 in 1980, using both that and the 200/250 and became a full Honda works rider in 1981, winning the championship in 82, 83 and 84 on the 360.

In 1985 he had the monstrous looking 360 mono RTL but changed to the 250 (or 270) in 1986. 1987 was his last year on the Honda.

I'd guess as he was a Honda factory rider that his bikes weren't UK registered. Rob Shepherd and Nick Jefferies' twinshock 360s were as they rode for Honda UK. It was one of the UK bikes that was tested in TMX.

Maybe someone has some pictures from UK world rounds or SSDT showing the registration number. May be some in the Four Stroke Finale book.

Edited by Woody

A quick glance at the book shows he signed for Honda for a further 3 years in 85 after riding the twinshocks,and the 360cc engined RTL was the bike he was riding.He hinted the 250 was not powerful enough for world rounds. There is a pic of the 360 and the reg looks like MNR **Y. This is of course an 83 number but that means nothing. (Look @ GOV 132s questionable past).

Are you telling us that Gavin has the rare TLR and hasn't bought the book ?? Now affordable and only across the border.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Four-Stroke-Finale-T...=item45ef620906

edit. I remember reading MCN back in the mid to late 80s and a lot of works bikes went in a crusher( all 2 wheel sports)

Edited by bo drinker

You'll mean this one John????

That's it, sorry Slapshot3 I thought it was one of Gizzas' photos, but I stand corrected! :chairfall:

Big John

Edited to say: not RTL250S but 270RTL, note single downtube frame!

Edited by Big John

He hinted the 250 was not powerful enough for world rounds.

Funny that. In an article about the US Honda trials venture Bob Nicholson (?) suggested the same about the 306 and tried to tempt Marland into staying with the promise of the 360. He also said the proddy Spanish steeds were better than the works 306.

You'll mean this one John????

Eddie also had a unique way in letting the tyre down when changing it during the week, he stuck a knife throught the side wall !

Nearly broke my heart

Think it was one of the first stickies, couldnt let it fall into the hands of anyone.

[quote

Think it was one of the first stickies, couldnt let it fall into the hands of anyone.

Who would have wanted a tyre with half the tread blocks missing? I recall the first stickies did not like the road going and shed tread. I must remember to ask you about Joanna's shoes at Glentress.

[quote

Who would have wanted a tyre with half the tread blocks missing? I recall the first stickies did not like the road going and shed tread. I must remember to ask you about Joanna's shoes at Glentress.

Would probably still have been better than a Dunlop Trials Champion !