Mikuni Carb For Tiger Cub

philly

Hi i am currently building a 230cc cub and i am thinking of fitting a mikuni vm 22 carb. i have seen these advertised on a well known auction site for 30 quid. firstly has anyone used one of these and if so what were the results????. and what if any mods are required to make these fit. I am asking this question as a complete novice and would apreciate any advise.

many thanks PHILLY

Hi,

I have just fitted a VM22 to my 199cc cub, I bought it new from Motocarb, they have the mounting holes machined out slightly to fit on the 2 inch stud centres for the cub.

Initially my thoughts are that its no better than the Amal concentric that was on before, it still has that dreaded flat spot or dying engine when throttle cracked open quickly, though I have improved it by playing with the jets and needle positions. I have yet to try it in anger though.

Mine was

Gday, its virtually impossible to buy a carb, bolt it on and have it go like the factory one did, unless they are pre-jetted for the application you are using it on. It sounds like you need to alter the slide cutaway if you have a big flat spot off idle. This is possible but it takes time and trial and error. After it is setup properly it will be a good thing for a long time - the modern carbs are much better than the Older Amals etc.

Cheers,

Stork