M159 Update On Progress

sunny

I have moved from boxes of bits to what could be called something that resembles a Bultaco m159. I have posted a few before and after photos. I am still struggling to get it running. It started and ran for a few moments but I have not been able to start it since. It has spark but not great and it still has big carb issues. I think I need a rebuild kit for a Bing. Leaking fuel from bowl and out the bottom very quickly (overflow hole). I painted the old fenders with Rustoleum Universal paint for now. I do not hink it will hold up but that new spray paint can they have is awesome to use big fan spray and easily to hold. I still need to order new bars and a new petcock. I stole this one from my M80 to get it started.

I have to give a shout out to Bultacosteve for sending me a seat ( I did not have anything but a chunk of foam in the parts I got) He did this for only the cost of shipping.

DSC00673.jpg

G9inPalmSprings-Nov2009056.jpg

G9inPalmSprings-Nov2009057.jpg

G9inPalmSprings-Nov2009063.jpg

Your bike is coming together well! Hows the weather holding out on your end of the county? My bike is also in peices. This is the first November I can remember without any real snow to speak of. I should have mine back together just in time fir the first huge snowfall.

I haven't had to source any parts for my Bing yet. I think you can find them out of Bing USA. I know a few guys racing vintage Can-Am bikes. They occasionally have luck sourcing parts for the Bing carbs they run through local Ski-doo, Bombardier Recreational Product (BRP) dealers. Mostly NOS parts.

Have you checked your timing? My bike (which is a '77 model 183) would start from cold poorly. From hot it was usually pretty good. When I tore it apart this year, I was surprised to see how far out the timing and points gap was. I beleive someone had adjusted the timing by fidgiting with the points gap. The gap is adjustable through the flywheel access hole. Mine was set to about .004" with spec being .016" (I'm going from memory so forgive me if I'm off a little.). Those points were hardly opening and the weak spark I had reflected that. I've since reset the points gap and have a bright, hot spark. Opening up the points gap to spec has thrown off my base timing a ton (almost 3mm of stroke to far advanced). I am currently waiting on a flywheel puller I've ordered to complete the adjustment. I expect a huge difference in how my bike starts and runs after dialing in the timing.

Good luck,

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

I would be glad to provide the photos but we are going to be away for the Christmas Break. I will get some photos for you. I think you could bend up something simular with out too much trouble. It has been cool around here lately and my workspace is not heated so I have not been turnning many wrenches.

Sunny

Thanks Sunny .... no hurry on that as I thought you might already have a pic. Don't go to too much trouble please. Been cold here too with lots of ice so I am trying to catch up on some shop time to do a few things to make the old beast correct.

Have a merry Christmas

Sam

• 4 weeks later...