Towbar Fitted Rack

paul w

which golf are you looking to fit the towbar to?

I have fitted towbar's to two golf mk V's and one mk IV, they are very easy to bolt on, bumper cover off, remove and through away the rear strengthening bar, slide in the towbar, bolt it up through the VW provided holes, blind threaded holes already preped at the factory. The only problem comes with the electrics, as the mk V has a canbus system so you need a special relay box, (which you can buy on ebay) which reads the low power to the lights and switches a feed from the rear boot cigarette lighter socket (at least this is what I did).

Hope that helps, otherwise any decent garage (or autoelectrician) should fit easily and no more than 1.5 - 2 hours labour max, @ ~

I had a rack fitted to my golf and to be honest would look at another way of transporting the bike.

Because the rear bumper is so high I had problems with the gear lever and footrests rubbing against the paintwork, I even had spacers fitted to gain more room but still ended up with big holes in the bumper.

The racks sat in the shed if you want to try one PM me.

Does any one know if a rack is available for the removable type tow bars? I have an A4 Avant fitted with a Westfalia removeable towbar. I spoke to Dave Cooper and his do not fit. I haven't really got room for a trailer and a rack would have been ideal.

Thanks

Steve

Does any one know if a rack is available for the removable type tow bars? I have an A4 Avant fitted with a Westfalia removeable towbar. I spoke to Dave Cooper and his do not fit

Not likely Steve - there is too much flexibilty in a removable towbar. You might be better just biting the bullet and changing it for a fixed towbar / rack. There are a couple of decent retailers in Worksop you could approach for the conversion (Tranker lane and Eastgate)

Edited by Fivemeister

Hi,

I have a Witter removable towbar on my A4 Avant, and there was an option for the removable towbar with the two hole flange - maybe you can get one for yours? The rack can bolt right onto it.

Had good advice on here - go for a trailer if you can because you'll be knackered - I was!. You can find ones that are barely bigger than a bike and can be stood up on end.