03 Sherco 250 Gearbox Problems

oshow

Hello,

I currently have a problem with my 03 Sherco 250 Gearbox.

At the moment i can only select 1st & 2nd gear. The gearstick is still in its normal position but has a small bit of up and down movement (approx 3mm). When selecting first gear i can feel some spring tension but when i pull up on the lever and select second gear their is no spring tension and i cannot select 3rd gear.

I have ordered a gear selector spring from Splat UK (Part No M110) and will attempt to replace it this weekend. I have not disassembled any part of the engine yet and was hoping to get some advise on the best approach to replacing this spring, if that is the problem of course.

Any suggestions will be gratefully accepted.

Thanks

OShow....

If you have no return from the up position going to 2nd gear, it does sound as though the return spring may be broken. And if it is, you need to retrieve that before further operation as well.

Pull the clutch cover and clutch! And be sure to properly scribe the position of the clutch hub retaining nut and shaft so you can put things back easily! :thumbup:

Edited by copemech

A similar thing happened to my sons sherco after catching the gear lever on a rock in a section. It turned out to be the gear selector that is , if I remember correctly , situated behind the clutch basket . It is shaped like a letter ' C ' and what happened was the tip on one side at the end of the letter ' C ' , that turns the selector , broke off therefore only allowing the selector to change up but not down or vice versa whichever side broke off . It was a while ago when this happened so the mechanical side of the story may be slightly wrong but the repair , as I vaguely remember , was straight forward and quite easy as I recall .

Hope This Helps

Phil