Tiger Cub Engine Differences

duckwizard

There's a good number of differences.

The major issue is with the bearings, up to engine no. 84268 the mains are a plain bush, the later engines have 6304 ball races, which are longer lasting. There's been lots of changes to the big end as well, started with rollers, then to a plain bush and then back to rollers, you can get a conversion as the big end is a very weak part on a Cub.

I phoned around a few of the experts before buying anything and they all advised getting the latest engine I could find mainly due to the bearings and oil pump. I ended up with a 65 Mountain Cub motor that has been through a total rebuild, including PVL, Roller Big end, sprocket access, etc etc.

I was speaking to someone before xmas who had a set of cases that had been modified for PVL and the sprocket access done, he was looking to sell them as he'd just got hold of a brand new set of cases. I see if he still has them and let you know.

All is not lost though as many of the parts are interchangeable, if you were to find some later cases.