Digi Cam?

dr nick

After having an excellent rate of exchange while in the states,I bought myself a digital camcorder and saved myself a few quidcompared to buying it over here in the uk.

With already owning a digital camera and seeing (eventually) how good the images can be,I expected something similar of the camcorder.

When played using the supplied cable ,(which is a mini jack to 3 phono ...mini jack in camcorder - 3 phono into tv`s AV socket)the picture is excellent ... twice as good as our old analogue camcorder ....stereo sound aswel.

What I want to do is transfer all the `movies` to Disk to play on our DVD player rather than VHS cassette

The software they supply with the camcorder for the PC only lets you download and edit `still` images and not movies for some reason :wacko: What the hell is that all about??????..all done through a USB connection.The still images are not a patch on what my camera does

My digital camera can download 170 better quality ,larger images through the same sort of connection ,so surely that cant be the reason.

I went out and bought a "Digital video editing kit" with help from my old friends at PC World ,thinking that this would solve my problem...."Create the ultimate home video" it said "ready to record to VCD"it went on

It was a firewire card and a `6 - 4` fire wire cable and software.I put everything together and guess what.....the connection doesnt fit my camcorder :D ???????.

I then tried the "TV card" that I used to transfer my old `analogue` handycam tapes onto my PC ,then copied the files onto Disk .....the result was a a very much reduced quality picture and a slightly distorted `mono` sound track

So...Does anybody out there know how to extract the digital movies from my camcorder with the quality that is seen when using the mini jack and 3 phono connection on my TV.

I would be very grateful

regards

N

Mine has got 3 connectors (JVC GR-DVP5)

USB for still images

S/AV for Telly

Firewire for PC

Still images taken with the 'snapshot' feature are very clear but any frames 'grabbed' (using software) from video images are lousy.

Plugging it straight into the TV using the S/AV port gives crystal clear video. I bought a DVD recorder so that I could record the video from the TV to DVD. I then tried to copy the DVD to PC so that I could edit it but couldn't be a***d with all the messing about.

I then got a firewire card for the PC and downloaded 'Pinnacle' video editing software free for 90 days. You can do quite a bit with this software but it takes some getting used to. It lets you burn to disk in loads of different formats VCD, SVCD, DVD, AVI, MPEG, WMV etc. etc. Some of the stuff that has been on TC.com was captured and edited using Pinnacle software.

Are you sure there aren't any more connector ports hidden on the Video camera? What make and model is it?

Cheers kinell

Its a Panasonic NV - GS11

On the side its got the 2 connector ports ...one for the USB cable and the other says DV above it (which is the one I thought the firewire cable would fit into ...but is slightly the wrong shape)

Then on the front ...1 AV socket for the mini jack To 3 phono and a microphone socket .

As I`m writing this I`m looking over the thing ..its also got an S-Video socket (dont know if its in or out...but presume its out)

The software that I got with the firewire card looks really good ...and I presume that if the connector fitted ....would get excellent results ....dont know why it doesnt fit :wacko: .

will try and post pics if it helps

regards

N

Hi,

On the Panasonic I think it's the wee 4-pin firewire, whilst most computers will have a 6-pin firewire connection.....so you'll need an adaptor. Does this adaptor look like it would fit your Panasonic?

http://www.trianglecables.com/firad4pinmal1.html

Regarding software and conversion, I have had a lot of help from these forums on all sorts of matters:-

http://www.avforums.com/forums/index.php

And this place is very useful also:-

http://www.videohelp.com/

Have fun!

Ian.

:D Errrr hello everyone :D

you know I said that the 6`- 4` cable wouldnt fit my camcorder....well after a slight bit more persuasion than i was giving it.....it fitted :wacko: huh would you beleive it ... :D

Anyway ....done my copying now,4hrs of film to edit :wacko: but while I was messing about ,I found something better to use to edit the files ,which came with `Nero` as part of the software to go with my new DVD Writer,which I found better than the one that came with the firewire card

Everythings going on DVDRW `s now ....I`ve only got half the discs I one had.... :hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

BTW ...good links those Ian ,Ive saved them in my favourites for when I get stuck next time

HAPPY NEW YEAR

regards

N

N,

If you want a bit more flexibility creating your DVD's try DVD-Lab from here You can download a 30 day trial.

To create a DVD I tend to use more than one program.

I use Ulead Video Studio 8 to copy, edit and compile my videos to MPEG2 format. Then use DVD Lab to create the final DVD and copy to hard drive. If the DVD is over size you can then recode using Nero and then finally burn the finished product to DVD.

Have Fun. Four hours of video to edit should keep you occupied for a very long time.