Can Anyone Verify My Ty250 Model Year?

rhodewarrior

Hi everyone. I just picked up what I believe to be a 1979 Yamaha TY250. The VIN numbers on the frame and engine are the same: 493-100302. Does anyone have a picture of a complete bike? I am having no trouble finding parts and information for the 74 but the 79 I can't find much information at all. Wondering what the seat/fender setup is supposed to look like. Also it has a 21" front tire. Is this correct? I am going to restore it back to factory specs. Thanks in advance for any help. Here is a picture.

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

The frame and engine numbers are TY250C (1976 model).

I am guessing from your spelling of tyre and seeing the snow on the ground that you are from the USA or Canada, so the colour schemes of the bikes sold there may have been different to what they were here, but here in Australia the colour scheme for the TY250C fuel tank and exhaust heat shield was the same as your bike.

Yes 21" is standard for the front tyre.

Your bike has been fitted with the optional trail-riding footpeg kit that locates the pegs much more forwards than the standard trials footpeg location.

It probably had the optional trail-riding seat fitted also and since removed

The footbrake lever is home-made.

I will go looking for photos of the standard C model

Edited by feetupfun

The frame and engine numbers are TY250C (1976 model).

I am guessing from your spelling of tyre and seeing the snow on the ground that you are from the USA or Canada, so the colour schemes of the bikes sold there may have been different to what they were here, but here in Australia the colour scheme for the TY250C fuel tank and exhaust heat shield was the same as your bike.

Yes 21" is standard for the front tyre.

Your bike has been fitted with the optional trail-riding footpeg kit that locates the pegs much more forwards than the standard trials footpeg location.

It probably had the optional trail-riding seat fitted also and since removed

The footbrake lever is home-made.

I will go looking for photos of the standard C model

Thanks. I'm actually glad to hear it's a 76. I can't find anything on a 79. There is a seat that came with it, and I think you're right, it may be the optional trail riding seat. It's about 5" high.

The photos you posted are of Mark Levinge's customised bike that looks quite different to standard. I went to post up some pictures of a standard bike but realised they were subject to copyright so didn't post them. I'm sure you will get good standard photos soon

Yes the seat is meant to be black

The photos you posted are of Mark Levinge's customised bike that looks quite different to standard. I went to post up some pictures of a standard bike but realised they were subject to copyright so didn't post them. I'm sure you will get good standard photos soon

Yes the seat is meant to be black

Thanks. My frame is also silver, not blue, which I believe is original. I'll keep looking for some photos. In the meantime, back to ebay to spend some money.

I Rhodewarrior, I have in the shed a CANADIAN original 493 ( 1976 ), I don't know how to post pictures but if you are able to give me your email I can send you quite a few picture that I took this fall since I want to sell the moto.

Guy

Brochure photos of the TY250C have been provided here

http://www.trials.com.au/content/index.php...er&Itemid=6

Thanks, I'll have to check it out later. The previous owner said it was running but it needs rings now. I'm planning on pulling the cylinder this week and evaluating the bike in general. I can start ordering parts once I see how it runs and what it needs. It does at least have spark. I plan on doing the top end at the very least, new carb, oil injection, etc.

After restoring a Honda CBX, a Suzuki GT750, and converting a 74 Kawasaki H2 into an H2R replica, this bike looks like a piece of cake. Can't wait to ride it.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

What's up guys? I'm looking forward to tearing into this bike soon. I want to get it running or at the very least evaluate it to see what it needs. Then I plan to go for a full assault on ebay and Sammy Miller, et al. I can't wait to get into the vintage trials race scene. I'm 52 and ready to rock and roll. I plan to practice, practice, practice, then compete at least on a local level.