Betor Shock Rebuildable?

mcman56

I have a set of shocks from a 1971 Alpina. They are red with chrome springs but I do not see any markings on them so am not sure they are Betors. (I could post a picture.) Are these rebuildable? Can I get a manual or procedure somewhere? I saw seals for sale on a web site but that is it.

Thanks,

Dan

Yes, a picture would help to find out which shocks you have. On my '72 Sherpa I had the non-rebuildable Betor shocks but nevertheless I rebuilded them. But you need a lathe if you want to rebuild such shocks and a dealer who sells seals, because of course they aren't available for shocks which can't be rebuilded.

bye, Felix

• 1 month later...

I found some instructions and am attempting to disassemble for rebuild. The instructions I found say to clamp the head in a vise and then it implies that I can just unscrew the bottom. When I try this, the chrome shaft does not turn so it does not come apart. It looks like I need to grab the chrome shaft and turn it but that seems likely to damage the chrome. Are there any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

These are rebuildable , i would say more likely of a matador or montedero , you compress the spring and only at the very top under the small shroud you grip where there should be a flat on the shaft if there is not protect the shaft with some rubber before gripping with grips but only at the very top,it doesnt matter here as the seal block will not travel this far up the shaft ,then unscew the top shock mount .Then grip the bottom lug in the vice. Where the shaft comes out of the body you should see a piece with 2 flats or peg holes in it ,this is the part you unscrew.Dont grip the shaft as you could damage it and the you will need new shafts.Hughs bultaco of craryville new york should stock the seal kits ,some come with the shafts as well .Its looks like you have the