Triumph Tiger Cub

duckwizard

Can someone help please how do you remove the gearbox sprocket on a tiger cub. Sounds simple. :)

Have removed clutch casing, duplex chain and sprockets and now cannot see a method apart from removing the gearbox from kickstart side.

I believe that there is a mod to the clutch side crancase casing to make this easier, has anyone got this ?.

bike is later engine with distributor.

thanks in advance.

If your engine has Distributor type points mechanism it is an early engine the later type have points in the side case, contact breaker cam driven direct off camshaft, not that it matters you can still have fun on any cub!

They changed to side points in Aug 62 (start of 63 prod year) from eng No 88347. They also cut clutch cable access hole in timing side outercover at this time, yours may have been already cut.(according to The Tiger Cub Bible)

On my cub I have 13tooth gearbox and 64 tooth rear sprockets, this seems to make 2nd gear useable even in tight slippery sections.

Enjoy. :)

Hi

I have 19T eng sprocket fitted.

The timing cover hole I refered to was to allow you to replace the clutch cable (not for wiring) without removing complete timing cover, on a previous cub I cut the end triangle off the cover and refitted it with sealant and one screw only.

My next mod, cash permitting, is a miller swinging arm, then oil reservoir in tank strut support this will give get rid of the clutter around swingarm to allow more mud clearance.

More expense!!!

:)

Do you run the standard primary 19T Duplex engine sprocket or have you changed this also.

Depends on what box you have,

Std or Wide ratio. I have Wide Ratio box and have fitted the 16T primary drive sprocket, this means that you also have to take half a link from the chain, and probably fit a tensioner. I'm running 14 - 54 - I have also fitted the Serco lower second gear to give me the option of using 1st and 2nd.

If your cases split in the middle (distrbutor or not), then the only way to change the sprocket is to split the cases, then you appreciate why the mod is worth doing, next time you only have to remove the clutch and primary drive.

My next mod, cash permitting, is a miller swinging arm, then oil reservoir in tank strut support this will give get rid of the clutter around swingarm to allow more mud clearance.

More expense!!!

:)

I have an Martin Adams modified Cub swinging arm works great, i will try and find his phone no. there is a chance he is gone to Aussie.

Cheers everyone,

I called Ray Small, he is sending me up prices etc.

He tells me I can mark and cut casing for his adaptor plate but will have to cut of gearbox teeth with plasma to remove through adaptor hole.

This will save me from splitting cases. I have access to machining equipment and cutting tools so that is good.

My swingarm is already wide apparently so that is also less cost.

Full steam ahead this weekend.

"Dangerous thing to put out over net"..................obviously you would rather buy from someone, who is going to charge you 17.5% extra then.................lol

your missing the point. Would Ray like you broadcasting over the net that he does not charge VAT

vinnie :):)