Ty80 Shocks

turps

I have just finished rebuilding a TY 80 for my son and now that it is up and running I have found that the shocks are way too hard, they hardly move with me on them. I was wondering if there is any way that I could rebuild them and replace the springs for a softer set and maybe replace the oil, seals etc. I don't really want to go to the expense of buying a new set as it doesn't seem worth spending a lot of money on it. I have two sets of units so I'll be able to try at least one set out and if it doesn't work he'll have to get used to riding a semi rigid ! thanks James

The standard Ty80 shocks have very soft springs so if they are not moving with an adult on the bike then one or both are probably bent or seized.

Standard TY80 shocks are not meant to be rebuildable. If you can free them up they may be OK for a youngster even with no damping.

Our TY80 has the original standard TY80 shocks with zero damping effect but they move freely and seem to work well with my kids (35kg and 22kg) riding it.

Swingarm fine but have since took the springs off the spare set and one siezed, will now take the other set off the bike and see if there is one siezed, hopefully not both and I'll be able to get one pair out of four , thanks.