Decompression System Demystified

scooterspal

I was having a hard time kick starting my new "used" TLR200. The first thing to suspect would be the automatic decompression (or compression release if you prefer) system. This is designed to relieve some of the pressure from the starting process by opening the exhaust valve a small amount. The manual says the lever on the top outside of the head should have 1 to 2mm of play. Well, mine had that so I assumed it was working. Still the kick start was very hard to move.

However, what I found was you cannot tell the decompressor is working from the outside lever action alone. Opening the exhaust adjust port, the one on the front of the engine head, told a different story. The decompressor on my bike was not working at all! It was not even touching the exhaust valve lifter during the kick.

In these two photos you can see the method I used to correctly adjust the automatic decompressor system for my TLR200. After the adjustment the "half moon" shaped silver decompressor bar should press down (about 3/16") on the valve lifter for just a moment during each kick and then pop back up.

I assume this would be similar to other model Hondas that also use this system. Hope this may help someone else before they break their very expensive kick start lever as I almost did.

BTW: This kick start "how to" video may be of interest to us, as well, even though it's for a much larger bike. I especially like how he explains the method to find TDC (top dead center).

decomp2.jpg

decomp1.jpg

Edited by scooterspal
  • Like 1