Footpeg Relocation

motovita

Last year I adopted an unloved 199A Sherpa T. Like most children it has absorbed large amounts of money and is still far from perfect.

It seems I have the engine, suspension and brakes fairly well sorted now. After a good ride in some intermediate level sections this morning I think the best improvement in rideability I can make now would be to lower the footpegs (I'm fairly tall).

Does anyone have photos, templates or advice to offer me?

My intent is to compete occasionally on this bike in both modern and vintage events. I want to keep it vintage legal but it is far past the point of ever being a show bike. As of now it has a left side brake on it which doesn't particularly bother me (thats the way I learned to ride) but if I'm cutting and welding I would probably switch it to "wrong side shift".

Maybe someone has raised the pegs on your bike because if you fit them any lower than they are standard they will be lower than the bashplate.

An option for your tallness is to either fit higher bars, or modify the bar mounts to get the grips higher. On a Sherpa T this usually means quite drastic mods to the top triple clamp.

I've lowered the pegs on my 199b, they are fractionally below the bashplate but with such high ground clearance it isn't really a problem. Golden rule, I was told, is footpegs shouldn't ever be below the spindle height as handling is adversley affected. Below the bashplate means there is more chance of catching them but as mentioned before, they're only a fraction below and with high clearance it isn't a problem. 6.5" bars make it reasonabley comfortable as I'm 6' 3". I only moved them down, not back, or if I did, maybe just a few mm. Just weld a plate extension on the rear frame tube, gusset it for strength to stop it bending and weld on new footrest brackets in desired position.

I'd leave the brake/gear lever as they are. Lefthand brake with a rod is better than righthand with a cable.

Maybe someone has raised the pegs on your bike because if you fit them any lower than they are standard they will be lower than the bashplate.

An option for your tallness is to either fit higher bars, or modify the bar mounts to get the grips higher. On a Sherpa T this usually means quite drastic mods to the top triple clamp.

I didn't mean to imply that the footpegs had been raised. They are the stock height, and I have fit longer pegs that came off a Pursang, I believe.

I'd leave the brake/gear lever as they are. Lefthand brake with a rod is better than righthand with a cable.

Yes, I remember that from my Pursang days.

I've seen a photo of a bellcrank setup with a cable from the right going to a rod on the left. Does anyone have experience with this setup?

Just talking about the same issue today with a mate. Must agree the std footrest position on the Bultaco does feel a bit high if you are used to modern trials bikes and dont see a problem with repositioning them where you like. However surely they cant be any lower than the bash plate cos that would be der silly !!!

The other benifit of course is you could get rid of those orrible Bultaco footrests and fit some proper ones. Obviously need new brackets welding on but thats no big deal.