290, Better Gearing?

technolad

Ive got a 2010 290 (10 front, 42 rear) and I dont know wether its just my style of riding but I find 1st gear a bit to short and 4th a bit long for big climbs. My last bike was a 2007 290 with the same gearing and I put a 40 tooth on the rear which made 1st a more usable gear and 3rd a better for big stuff. I want to do the same on my current bike but was just wondering if anyone has tryed anything different as i am struggling to get hold of a decent 40 tooth rear sprocket? Common Sherco, give us six gears!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All is a tradeoff here, however you could go with a 44-46 rear which makes 4th and even 5th more usable on the loop, then just use 2nd and 3rd in sections! :rolleyes:

I could never use 4th on a hillclimb unless there was a big run and it was a fast hill.

On my 2010 I tried a 9t which made 1st good for about 5 ft. after 15 minutes I put the stock counter back on and find 1st -3rd to be fine. I do agree 6 speed gear box would be nice. Cope were on earth did you get going fast enough to use 4th ? I thought 3rd was fast enough for you ! :rolleyes:

On my 2010 I tried a 9t which made 1st good for about 5 ft. after 15 minutes I put the stock counter back on and find 1st -3rd to be fine. I do agree 6 speed gear box would be nice. Cope were on earth did you get going fast enough to use 4th ? I thought 3rd was fast enough for you ! :marky:

Fracy got that right!

RL, recall that trail from the backwooks and hills to back to camp up at Grand Lake?!!!! Click -up and haul ass!

Those hills are a good example as well, coming up the backside, it is a long hard grade. Maybe 1/4 mile and several hundred feet vertically. You either slow down to keep from winding the crap out of third or go to 4th and hope you can keep it in the power to pull the hill. :rolleyes: