199A fuel tank

trialsrfun

My Bultaco 199A has had an alloy petrol tank from new, most of the similar 199A bikes that I have seen have a plastic tank fitted as did many of the previous model red Bults & the 340. Was the alloy tank an option or was it only fitted to certain models?

My Bultaco 199A has had an alloy petrol tank from new, most of the similar 199A bikes that I have seen have a plastic tank fitted as did many of the previous model red Bults & the 340. Was the alloy tank an option or was it only fitted to certain models?

199A Bultaco models were brought in to the UK through Comerfords, Thames Ditton under the importer style "Bultaco UK" a trading name of Comerfords International. Nowadays that trading name is operated by In-Motion at Egham.

The model you refer had an alloy tank to UK spec bikes, fitted because of UK road traffic laws which precluded the use of non-metal fuel tanks at one time, daft really as Porsche cars had a plastic fuel tank fitted as standard!

The poly tank was used on home market (Spain) and for other european countries and I think also the USA, but were made available by Bultaco UK in Britain as an aftermarket option for those who didn't use their bikes on the road. Both the 199 (red) and 199A (blue) tanks were available.

Nowadays new poly tanks are available from Bultaco UK at Egham, Surrey.

Hope this answers your question?

Big John

(footnote: If you intend changing from an alloy to poly tank, you need a different seat otherwise there is a gap due to the alloy tank being longer than the poly version!)

Edited by Big John

!

The poly tank was used on home market (Spain) and for other european countries and I think also the USA, but were made available by Bultaco UK in Britain as an aftermarket option for those who didn't use their bikes on the road. Both the 199 (red) and 199A (blue) tanks were available.

the USA models came with plastic tanks, never seen an alloy one in person.