Painting plastics?

pete_scorpa3

Hi there, Halfords do a good plastic adhesion promotor which you need to spray on your guards after you have first wet flatted them with p800 or p1000 to create a key.They also do a range ( I think)called plasticote in a range of colours which are designed specifically for plastic.

What I've found to work really well on all sorts of plastics (from car bumpers to interior pieces), as well as vinyl and rubber is SEM colorcoat. Comes in a variety of colors and actually dyes the part. SEM also makes a prep solvent which makes the piece a little more porous and rough and allows the dye to seep in better.

Just my .02c

• 4 weeks later...

Use Halfords Plastic Paint Primer, flatted the mudguard down with 400 grit, sprayed on a coat, flatted it down again with 800, flatted it again with 800 and sprayed normal Halfords gloss on.

I gave it two coats of colour, lightly flatted it down again using lots of water and put on a coat of Halfords Laquer.

Perfect job.

Will have to see how well it lasts now. :thumbup:

• 3 months later...

Really pleased with it, well worth the effort. One small flake has come off right on the very back edge of the rear mudguard where the bike was reversed into a rock, other than that it still looks like a factory finish.

Even after five trials and endless laps around the garden, it still looks fresh. I have to say it's also remarkably flexible too. Despite the mudguard flexing there's no signs of cracking what-so-ever!

Here's a picture taken last weekend, please excuse the odd riding kit, she often disappears out the house for a quick ride round the garden when she's supposed to be doing something else.... like homework! :rolleyes:

IMG_0525.jpg

How did the paint hold up Pete?? - I'm thinking of giving the Scorpa a fresh lick of paint.

Make sure you lacquer the tank on a Monday....then dont touch it for a week.

I did mine, really nice job, then 2-3 days later spilled a bit of fuel whilst filling the tank and I now have scars running down the tank.

Apparently the lacquer takes about a week to fully harden.

I will have to try again......when I can be bothered !

Cheers both, the bike looks great Pete. B)

Well i spent most of the afternoon sanding down the rear fender [by hand] then after 2hrs of dead arm :wall: i remembered who i lent my electric sander to and went and got it back :P

All the nasty scratched blue is now off, i also sanded down the petrol tank and front mudguard, new stickers are on order so i'll get a few layers of primer on tomorrow before it's painted, stickered, laquered and baked next week.

ps. I also went with the Halfruads plastikote primer :thumbup:

• Like 1