Bultaco Sherpa colour refrences - blue and silver

max

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could give me a colour/paint reference for the blue and silver used on the aluminium 'homerlite' tanks on a 74/75 Sherpa T 250 (model 150)? Please see pic attached for reference.

I have a compressor/paint gun setup, or can use spray cans if there is a good match anyone can suggest. Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Max

Bikealmostfinished_LHS.jpg

I don't know your location, but you mentioned aerosol paint. Don't use Halfords if your in the UK, the petrol which inevitably escapes from the filler cap during riding, or any you spill when filling up will ruin the paint. Petrol amd Halfords paint don't mix. It may be ok if you lacquer over it but I've never tried that. After my Bultaco tank was ruined I never used Halfords stuff again (for anything likely to come into contact with petrol) Shame really as the application from the can is the best I ever came across for aerosol paint.

Can't help you with a paint code, but Ford Electric Monza blue is good for the later 199a model but a bit dark for the homerlite tank's original blue.

I don't know your location, but you mentioned aerosol paint. Don't use Halfords if your in the UK, the petrol which inevitably escapes from the filler cap during riding, or any you spill when filling up will ruin the paint. Petrol amd Halfords paint don't mix. It may be ok if you lacquer over it but I've never tried that. After my Bultaco tank was ruined I never used Halfords stuff again (for anything likely to come into contact with petrol) Shame really as the application from the can is the best I ever came across for aerosol paint.

Can't help you with a paint code, but Ford Electric Monza blue is good for the later 199a model but a bit dark for the homerlite tank's original blue.

Thanks for the reply. I was planning to use 'Halfrauds' paints, but also use their petrol resistant lacquer on top. I will let you know how i get on.

Thanks,

Max

Thanks for the reply. I was planning to use 'Halfrauds' paints, but also use their petrol resistant lacquer on top. I will let you know how i get on.

Thanks,

Max

Max,

How did you get on with the paint, i sprayed mine with halfords enamel paint and it came out really well. used their petrol resistant laquer as well. although that came out of the tin a tad dry. but i left it a couple of weeks to harden right off. then flattened it off with some 1800 wet and dry. bought back the shine with ultra fine cutting compound. take a look at me bike pics, you can see the shine in the paintwork on the tank.

regards,

Tom

Max,

How did you get on with the paint, i sprayed mine with halfords enamel paint and it came out really well. used their petrol resistant laquer as well. although that came out of the tin a tad dry. but i left it a couple of weeks to harden right off. then flattened it off with some 1800 wet and dry. bought back the shine with ultra fine cutting compound. take a look at me bike pics, you can see the shine in the paintwork on the tank.

regards,

Tom

Hi Tom,

The tank is coming along nicely. It is all stripped, filled and painted (which took some very careful masking) and i am quite happy with the results, especially as i was quoted

Hi Tom (and anyone else that might be interested)

Here are pics of the finished tank. I now have to wait 2 weeks for the petrol resistant lacquer to fully cure before polishing with 100 grit wet and dry.

I am pretty happy with the results.

Cheers,

Max

IMG_1753.jpg

IMG_1754.jpg

IMG_1755.jpg

Hi Max,

Thats the nuts mate, hope it was a typo, saying that you would flat it off with 100 grade wetndry, how did you find the laqcuar. its got to be the finest you can get. Try using a cutting compound first, a really fine one, it may negate the need to use wetndry. there are some really good compounds on the market, farcela is a good one, brown brothers should be able to help you out there. have you done any spraying before? looks very professional. the colour looks great and quite close to the original. NICE ONE!!!!!!!!

regards,

Tom,

Hi Max,

Thats the nuts mate, hope it was a typo, saying that you would flat it off with 100 grade wetndry, how did you find the laqcuar. its got to be the finest you can get. Try using a cutting compound first, a really fine one, it may negate the need to use wetndry. there are some really good compounds on the market, farcela is a good one, brown brothers should be able to help you out there. have you done any spraying before? looks very professional. the colour looks great and quite close to the original. NICE ONE!!!!!!!!

regards,

Tom,

Hi Tom,

Yes, it was indeed a typo - 1800+ grit if i end up wet and drying it.

It is my first time spraying (other than repainting old frame/engine parts in black etc), but i took my time, and was very careful not to bodge it - mist layers, light coats, flatting off after each coat with 1500 grit etc.

I bought good quality pin striping tape and decent car body shop 3m masking tape to do the masking and it works really well - the lines were perfect, if i do say so myself. I then used 3mm pin striping tape for the black line and lacquered over the whole lot (decals included).

I am very happy with the way it has turned out. The lacquer is so good, i am not even sure it needs flatting/polishing? I'll wait a week or so an decide!

Thanks for the feedback.

Max

Hi Tom,

Yes, it was indeed a typo - 1800+ grit if i end up wet and drying it.

It is my first time spraying (other than repainting old frame/engine parts in black etc), but i took my time, and was very careful not to bodge it - mist layers, light coats, flatting off after each coat with 1500 grit etc.

I bought good quality pin striping tape and decent car body shop 3m masking tape to do the masking and it works really well - the lines were perfect, if i do say so myself. I then used 3mm pin striping tape for the black line and lacquered over the whole lot (decals included).

I am very happy with the way it has turned out. The lacquer is so good, i am not even sure it needs flatting/polishing? I'll wait a week or so an decide!

Thanks for the feedback.

Hi Max,

Like i say "it looks the nuts" and saved yourself about 400 quid. are you going to give it an outing when its finished?

Regards,

Tom,

Max

Hi Tom,

I will definitely give it an outing when it is done.

I am waiting for my re-chromed stantions to arrive this week and then my wheel hubs to be re-lined and wheels re-built by Bultaco UK's wheel building contact for about