Can you adjust handlebar stem height?

• 2 weeks later...

I just did this. I went to a good bicycle shop and took the Oset in with me. The mechanic there was intrigued and spent some time with me. We put my daughter on the bike and estimated how much further forward and higher we wanted. He looked through his stock and picked out a Specialized adjustable neck. It needed some fatter bars so he found a set in the used parts bin. $45 US for the stem and $10 for the bars and I was off. (not to mention working on a motorcycle in the living room on valentines day: priceless)

It took me about an hour including messing around to get it in just the right spot, transfering controls and grips and letting some slack out of the throttle wire. She thinks it is much more comfortable now and looks very cool. I am guessing we shaved a couple of pounds too as the steel bars are very heavy compared to the super lightweight ones we got.

I have also converted it to Lithium batteries (LiPo) with good results shaving a ton of weight and making it very fast to charge. I am planning on changing to the new forks, a 20" front wheel, and a lighter rear spring next. I am lucky to have the master Oset customizer (Rick) in my club so I get a lot of free advice as my daughter gets taller.

I am debating about the rear wheel. I tried the new Kenda tire and it is much better, but she still spins a lot. Also, with the 20" front I will need a bigger diamter to keep everything happy. Rick used a 16" or 14" motorcycle rim on the stock hub with the Ching Shen trials tire. I am considering a 20" bicycle wheel with one of the aggresive tires I see on some of the trials bicycles and even one unicycle. I am sure they are better rubber than the Cheng Shin but maybe the tread pattern is not really right for all the torque from the motor? Any thoughts are appreciated, especially if you know where to find a real rear trials motorcycle tire under 18".