Sherpa fork dust seals

triple_x

Hi

Can anyone advise?

I am disappointed that the standard Betor fork dust protectors don't really do their job (yes I fitted new ones!).

OK, they they stop the majority of the muck getting in but are not as effective as the current design on my Gas Gas.

So I have been searching the internet for 35mm x 47mm dust seals (similar to the Gas Gas)to replace the standard fittings.

I know from the pictures that the Spanish Puma bikes use this system so I would appreciate help in finding a supplier.

I have tried Pyramid Parts without success.

Further, due to the nature of the design does this new type dust seal replace the top seal(leaving only 1 seal per leg)or do I need to modify the slider to set the seals further down?

Kind regards

Martin

Sorry I don't have any ressources for oil seals in Great Britain,

only a German ressource:

www.braeuer-motorsport.de

They have them for example, send them an E-mail, english is no problem.

But in Germany there are a lot of other places too try google:

"Simmerringe Gabel Staubschutz 35 x 47 mm"

The name Simmerrine = oil seal in Germany is still used after Walter Simmer, he invented these type of oil seal in 1929.

It's no big problem to let them stick out some mm, the original dustcover will

fit anyway. I have mounted two in each slider, btw. the older slider have a deeper skew where they both of them fit exactly:

Here some pic's of my forks, one standard or original and one pair of forks modded:

DSC08120.jpg

DSC08135.JPG

Edited by PSchrauber

Marzocchi dust covers from late 80's bikes such as Beta, Fantic, JCM aircooled monos are all 35mm, but I don't know of a source for these. Or Honda 35mm from TLR, TLM etc. These are still available from Honda dealers as new stock.

The problem you'll have is that with the two oil seals fitted per leg, the dust cover won't sit in deep enough to stay located and will ride up the stanchion on rebound. I have some Fantic type on my Ossa forks and this happens sometimes. If a seal retaining circlip is fitted they probably won't fit at all, although not all bikes have circlips as OEM, so they aren't necessary. Originally, the bikes were only fitted with one oil seal and they were 10mm thick (if memory serves correctly). With just one fitted, there may be enough room to locate the dust cover, or if not see if thinner seals are available, 8mm or 9mm. Only one is required in each leg if it is a good quality hydraulic seal (as opposed to rotary seal which is no good for forks). If you want to retain two seals, you could always machine the housing deeper, as you suggest.

Here the ressource of the fork seals from Ariete, there You find both standard oil-seals and oils seals with an additional

dust cover:

direct link to part list fork seals

Home Page of the Italien manufactor Ariete, as mentioned already You get them from Bräuer in Germany f. e. or might be somewhere in the UK ??

Homepage Ariete

It is no problem to let them stuck out some mm, the dust cover will fit anyway, at least mine do. There do exist two original late cylindirc rubber dustcovers from Bultaco one with a small loge around 5-7mm in diameter and the other one with has a logo around 12 - 14mm in diameter, the one with the smaller logo fit. I would always mount two seals and as these rings have a double lip, you can place seal grease in the gap of the lips, (when purchasing a set of them, you get a little tube from Ariete with that special grease).

Edited by PSchrauber

Thank you for your interest and advice.

During today a friend of mine has done some research through a trade catalogue that specializes in Off Road bikes.

What he found was this:-

KTM65 SX 02 - 09 use 35mm x 47mm x 10mm seals.

All Balls make a kit "Part No 57-827A" which comprise 2 oil seals and two dust covers.

On paper it looks as though this will be the easiest route, so I will give it a go and report back.

So I will fit them in the Model 91 and give them a try before converting the 198A.

Kind regards

Martin