Frontera / Pursang rear engine mount

cunpr

Dear Anyone,

I am rebuilding my Frontera 370cc model 215 MK11. Am at the stage of putting the swing arm back in. The swing arm spindle has on it not only the swing arm but also the rear engine mount. I notice that when the rear engine mount is in place on the swing arm spindle there is a space on either side of it; i.e. the rear engine mount can move to the left or the right on the swing arm spindle. Is that right? It seems to me that the back end of the engine ought ot be fixed and not prone to lateral movement no matter how small so have I missed out something when I am putting it all back together? I've noted all the stuff I took of but can't find any spacers or washers.

So have I missed out on some spacers so there is no lateral movement of the engine mount?

Regards

Paukl C

As already mentioned:

I do not know how the rocker is mounted to the rockeraxle of your bike - I have no experience with Frontera or Pursang models, there where to different construction, (as I know):

- A: one with bronze/brass bearings, (like model 199a and 199b)

- B: one with rubber bearings, (like model 221)

A: When you have bronze/brass bearings there should be inner bushings made out of steel, these are wider and should fill the gaps, soem space you need for assambling as already mentioned by John Collins.

By the way the O-ring on the each of the outerside between the bronze/brass bearings is also a little bit "responsible" for the gap.

B: When you have rubber inlays as "bearings", (some older Bultaco bikes, at least some Sherpa's like mine model 221), then there should

be a small gap between 1-2mm on each side, for mounting the engine mount and the rocker. this gaps will be closed when thigtening the bolts of the rocker axle.

I would say if there is onle litttle play around 1 - 3 mm it is OK.

There are no extra spacers to mount as I know.

As already mentioned:

I do not know how the rocker is mounted to the rockeraxle of your bike - I have no experience with Frontera or Pursang models, there where to different construction, (as I know):

- A: one with bronze/brass bearings, (like model 199a and 199b)

- B: one with rubber bearings, (like model 221)

A: When you have bronze/brass bearings there should be inner bushings made out of steel, these are wider and should fill the gaps, soem space you need for assambling as already mentioned by John Collins.

By the way the O-ring on the each of the outerside between the bronze/brass bearings is also a little bit "responsible" for the gap.

B: When you have rubber inlays as "bearings", (some older Bultaco bikes, at least some Sherpa's like mine model 221), then there should

be a small gap between 1-2mm on each side, for mounting the engine mount and the rocker. this gaps will be closed when thigtening the bolts of the rocker axle.

I would say if there is onle litttle play around 1 - 3 mm it is OK.

There are no extra spacers to mount as I know.

Dear Both,

Thank you very much, very helpfull. I've had replacement stainless steel bushes made up to fit eh new brass bushes but it seems the originals I used as models for the replacements were a bit worn. I'll have to space out the gap with stainless washers. At the moment I have at least 5-10mm of play despite the spindle bveing done up really tight.

Regards

Paul C