TY 175 slack clutch drum rivets?

02-apr

Whilst fitting a new kickstart shaft I noticed a bit of circumferential play between the clutch drum and the primary drive gear. Has anyone experienced this and can I get away with just peening the rivets to tighten things up, though I take it some holes will have elongated.

Thanks

Apparently the play between the two components is due to the fact that there should be some rubber cushions between the two parts and the slack is a result of them being worn, I think you will find its the same on most old Ty'S, don't worry about it. (got that info off Feetupfun ages ago)

Apparently the play between the two components is due to the fact that there should be some rubber cushions between the two parts and the slack is a result of them being worn, I think you will find its the same on most old Ty'S, don't worry about it. (got that info off Feetupfun ages ago)

Yes I wondered if there was supposed to be a cush drive. Cheers

Yes as Andy.T said, I replaced the rubber elements in my TY175B cush drive in the late 1970s when I noticed there was a bit of slack there and thought it might affect the way the power was delivered. It took quite a bit of work, having to make new rivets and cush elements. I didn't notice any change in the way the motor felt and reckon I just wasted my time by working on it. I still ride that same bike and the clutch basket cush drive is still going fine.

Of course if for some reason the rubber elements were allowing metal-to-metal contact they should be replaced.