Ridiculous

hughesy

OK I thought I'd seen it all after the recent Majesty sale on ebay but this takes the biscuit. £6000 for a bike which wasn't rated when it was new and sold for about £1400, add a nice Mick Whitlock frame and 25 years later it's supposedly worth £6K, Crazy. Good luck to him but I thought the philosophy behind the twinshock seen was sensible sections and bikes at sensible prices?

See here

ebay TLR

Edited by Hughesy

just because it is listed at 6000 pounds does not mean that someone is prepared to buy it at that price

a very nice looking bike :thumbup: , and the guy has made a top job using quality parts (well done dale) :icon_salut: which wouldn't be cheep. worth 6 grand???? doubtfull but you gotta pitch it somewhere and see the reaction. personaly, if i'd built it, i'd just want to go out and ride it :D

:guinness: trev

I look's bloody lovely if its the bike i think it is, sadly it not a 250, im pretty sure i saw it or one identical or sale last year for 7.5k.

I thought the philosophy behind the twinshock seen was sensible sections and bikes at sensible prices? :rotfl:

I think weve done this to death but here goes...

The pre 65 thingy all started when the twin shocks came around. Nobody new what to do with their heaps of old iron. The same is true of twin shockers. Not really competitive against the modern guys (unless you are Ian Baker or dave Pye), the TS classes came along and everybody was happy.....

what we are seeing with the price increase is that people no longer WANT to ride modern. All the old farts (me ) dont want to ride up the side of a house dropping the clutch in third gear at full throttle. I love watching it, I repect those who can do it, but its not for me. Some people find that an average modern trial may cost them a brake lever or at worst a rear silencer etc etc falling off those big steps so the twin shock / pre 65 / classic thing is a viable alternative to have fun and still ride in a competition. As far as price paid or price asked is concerned, or "it cost less in 1978" or "they were no good then anyway"...its all relative.

To rebuilt a Fantic to as NEW condition, and I mean everything rebuilt, will cost me 4000€ plus. Thats without labour. If I tried to sell it in that condition why shouldnt I ask 6K? Its a NEW bike, just like a sherco or gasser. Doesnt Richard deal sell new Greeves for the same...I am talking about his twin shockers not the mono...

Whats its worth? What are they prepared to pay? The ex whatshisface Bultaco didnt reach the reserve at 6K on evilbay so the value to the seller was higher...

I personally dont like hondas but I did buy one of them whitlock frames for a mate here and they are wunderful The fact that a bike XYZ was not good in its day is irrellevant. The sections today are EASIER than in 1980 so the bikes are more useable.

Am I wrong?

Edited by Lee Harris
  • Like 1

"the older bikes are a labour of love to get them like a modern bike", what an interesting quote B)

Also a forlorn labour, as a Pre65/twinshock will never be like a modern bike. Pounds can be shaved of the weight, steering angles can be altered to quicken steering and swingarm lengths can be altered, but they will never do what a current bike will do. And they don't need to. Today's classic trials are nowhere near as hard as the centre and championship trials were in the last years of twinshocks, despite occassional claims that you need to do x, y and z to make a bike 'fit' for modern classic trials. The only exception is Pre65 where today's Pre65 Scottish sections for example are probably harder than the actual SSDT sections from 1965 and before. If someone rode a genuine 1964 Cub or James they would be losing more than 2 or 3 marks.

Anyway, as for prices, a bike will fetch what someone is prepared to pay for it, not necessarily what it is worth. 'Worth' is the market value and a market value is what something can be freely sold for, in other words you would have no shortage of people to buy it. Someone may want this bike enough to pay the asking price but if they did, should they want to sell it afterwards, the chances of finding someone else willing to pay that sum are minimal. Like the Majesty that just sold. If the person who bought it wanted to now sell it, could they find someone else willing to pay that much for it when the 'market' value is generally around

I guess it depends what your buying the bike for,if your buying for the future a top notch 6k bike could turn into a 12k bike in 10 to 15 years time,what would the same 6k get you in interest sitting in a bank for the same length of time,it's a big risk to take but the way the twinshocks are going right now that risk just might be worth taking at worst there get there 6k back in that time.

I agree as usual with Woody & Lee, the whole reason why these old bikes are fetching so much is modern trials are going the wrong way.

I recently rode a modern club event on a gasgas & ended up having to down grade to the beginners route, due to sections being too tight/hard. Never got out of 1st gear.Ended the day p****d off.

Most clubmen riders want a reasonable challenging event, but not too loose marks on impossible turns.

It's easy to say I would only pay £x amount for a TLR or majesty, but just try & do it!

I didn't think the recently advertised majesty would sell but it did!

Edited by shedco

modern trials are going the wrong way.

Most clubmen riders want a reasonable challenging event, but not too loose marks on impossible turns.

Thats it in a nutshell from my point of view. If the turns up your own backside dont get me the rock faces do.....

At least on a twinshock I feel challange without riding a wobblers and weavers route

I guess it depends what your buying the bike for,if your buying for the future a top notch 6k bike could turn into a 12k bike in 10 to 15 years time,what would the same 6k get you in interest sitting in a bank for the same length of time,it's a big risk to take but the way the twinshocks are going right now that risk just might be worth taking at worst there get there 6k back in that time.

I'm going to keep my 4RT for 20 years, if this is the way Honda prices will go................it's an uncompetitive heavy pile of crap in 2011 and will be in 2031 :rotfl:

Edited by Johnnyboxer

I'm going to keep my 4RT for 20 years, if this is the way Honda prices will go................it's an uncompetitive heavy pile of crap in 2011 and will be in 2031 :rotfl:

This is very true.

I might even find myself a good one and let it mature in the back of the garage.