Swan Neck Towbar

zaccyboy

Hi Folks, I own a Peugeot 1007 fitted with a Swan neck towbar, Im wanting to fit a bike rack instead of lugging a trailer around, anyone know of a clamp that fits onto the swan neck to allow the fitting of said bike rack.

Thanks Folks :thumbup:

Had to get a bracket made for my towbar to accept a Dave Cooper rack. Essentially the bracket is a simple right angle "L" shape with an additional small tab welded on either side of the towbar so as to locate the bracket and stop it rotating/yawing on top of the towbar. Bracket sits on the swan neck and is held in place by the tow ball bolt. A wider and longer bolt was needed. The curved piece directly under the ball in the photo is actually a plastic washer to protect paint work - not structural at all. Having done all of this, I prefer my trailer as this swan neck is of the removable type so there is a pitching motion that occurs when driving over speed bumps and rougher ground. I never feel as comfortable as I would like when using it - short bar, fat bike, short drop, fat damages bill. See other threads on pros and cons of racks and tow ball weighting!

IMG_3530.gif

Edited by Ross Brown

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks, I own a Peugeot 1007 fitted with a Swan neck towbar, Im wanting to fit a bike rack instead of lugging a trailer around, anyone know of a clamp that fits onto the swan neck to allow the fitting of said bike rack.

Thanks Folks :thumbup:

I've just bought a new car and had the same problem, luckily the swan neck is held on with two bolts so I just made a replacement bracket to carry the rack. I can post/email a photo if you want

• 4 weeks later...

I've just bought a new car and had the same problem, luckily the swan neck is held on with two bolts so I just made a replacement bracket to carry the rack. I can post/email a photo if you want

Hi mate,Iam on the same boat as you,having just bought a new Audi,with Detachable tow bar,have no way of fitting my Dave Cooper rack to it,could you post a pic of the replacement bracket you made. many thanks.

Hi mate,Iam on the same boat as you,having just bought a new Audi,with Detachable tow bar,have no way of fitting my Dave Cooper rack to it,could you post a pic of the replacement bracket you made. many thanks.

Hi mate send me ur email and I'll email you a pic. I've only used it once and I'll probably not be using it again as it fflexes the bar too much!

Guest tobeee

I know it's only a bit of simple welding to add a flange to a swan-neck bar, but in the UK that will be considered illegal and might invalidate insurance. Best not to give too much away about who you are and what you drive on a public forum!