TLR Gears jammed

keychange

Could be gear selector shaft return spring, if when you select up to 2nd then if you return it down by hand then select up again for 3rd does it work ?? When you have selected 2nd does it return back down as normal, if not possibly spring?? I don't know whether it is a motor split job if it is spring or the spring may be behind the clutch on the selector shaft ?? If it is it's a straight forward job, someone else should know. Only ever done top end work on TLRs.

Could be gear selector shaft return spring, if when you select up to 2nd then if you return it down by hand then select up again for 3rd does it work ?? When you have selected 2nd does it return back down as normal, if not possibly spring?? I don't know whether it is a motor split job if it is spring or the spring may be behind the clutch on the selector shaft ?? If it is it's a straight forward job, someone else should know. Only ever done top end work on TLRs.

no it wont select third no matter what I try just locked out

You need to remove the clutch cover and clutch and see if you can go through the gears with the selector drum by hand, if it does the same thing then it is likely selector problems, then a motor split job..... :icon_salut:

You need to remove the clutch cover and clutch and see if you can go through the gears with the selector drum by hand, if it does the same thing then it is likely selector problems, then a motor split job..... :icon_salut:

I reposted this on the twinshock forum in the hope that someone had experienced the same thing so sorry about the duplication - today I removed the clutch and the outer selector (parts manual calls it Plate-Gearshift ) and while turning the drive shaft I was able to move stopper (cam) and select each gear quite easily. I used some emery paper to take off the sharp edges on the selector and after a couple of tries it appears to be working. Question does this mean the selector and or the cam plate (stopper) are worn and should be replaced or do I just put it back together and hope for the best .

Edited by keychange

I'd clean it all as you have done, make sure nothing has come adrift to cause any damage and try the gears with the case fitted etc. Very rare these parts will wear, may just be a one off?

Cleaned and deburred the selector plate and cam and all is now good - fingers crossed :) - thanks for the advice