Knee replacements

Howdy, I have to have a total knee replacement and I was wondering if anyone else has had one and gone back to riding? Specifically: How long until you were competitive again?,What things could you not perform that you could before?, Any other words of wisdom? Thanks in advance for the information.

Howdy, I have to have a total knee replacement and I was wondering if anyone else has had one and gone back to riding? Specifically: How long until you were competitive again?,What things could you not perform that you could before?, Any other words of wisdom? Thanks in advance for the information.

You might want to have a looksee at this thread from another site:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=721204&highlight=knee+replacement

• 2 months later...

Hi, I have posted a comment on this subject previously but can' remember on where. I had both my knees replaced at the same time about 4 yrs ago and still ride vintage trials on Canada. I ride the A line on a 500 triumph and don't feel at any disadvantage compared to before the operation. I was useless then and still am. If you are riding classic type sections then I don't think you should worry. It will take a couple of years befoer you feel totally comfortable. In my opinion during your recovery period, i believe the most important issue is to get full bending motion which is a 135 degree bend of the knee, don't do more because the joint is not designed to do more. A friend of mine did lots of walking and cycling but didn't do enough knee bending execises so he only has about 90 degrees of movement, but then he only plays golf so it doesn't matter to much.

The bending exercise is simply to lie on your back and pull your knee into your chest until you get that 135 degrees of movement, it hurts but you must do it. It took me about 6 months before I rode and even then just practicing and letting go of the bike as soon as I was unsure. I rode my first trial 16 months later. You can always rebuild muscle strength at a later date, but it is virtually impossible to get more movement unless you do it at the beginning. If you want more info about how my recovery period went let me know your e-mail address.

best of luck Martin

Pretty sure Billy Craig on here has had some sort of Major Knee op! He'll probably chip in anyway, if not, search for him and send him a message! Very clever and useful man!

Billy knackered his achilles tendon in the Scottish and had complications following surgery. But I'm sure he has experience with knee replacements with some of his patients.

Billy knackered his achilles tendon in the Scottish and had complications following surgery. But I'm sure he has experience with knee replacements with some of his patients.

I have 4 knee ops to add to my tally as well Tim :icon_salut: . Consultant has warned me that he wants to do a replacement but I'll work to avoid it.

I've helped a few rehab themselves, the most impressive was a 76 year old who was on his 2nd go at it. He got fit enough to ride a bike again after 15 years unable to.

Biggest thing is to think about the alignment being the reason it wore out. Imagine the tracking in a car, if you just replaced parts without realigning then it would wear out quickly. So, ensure your rehabbing it correctly (its not as simple as most physicalterroists tell you). Then train it well, ensure you get as much flexion/extension as you can and then work on muscle strength.

Finally learn to stretch and release the tight muscles to stop misalignment/wear occurring.

• 8 years later...

I've had both of my knees replaced about 2 years ago . Just bought a 4RT and I have a 19/BETA 300 and a 13/KTM300XCW.

I ride better now than 10 yrs before the surgery. Just getting into the trials but I think it'll be ok . The reason I got them replaced is 

to ride , it worked.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...