C15 Delayed Oil Leak

mcman56

I have noticed something really odd about my C15. After riding, it will not leak oil for two days but then starts to leak at what I beleive to be a constant rate. It seems like there is some type of internal leak that fills up "something". Once that "something" fills up, it starts to leak externally. Oil accumulates on the bash plate so I can't find the exact source. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? This bike does have a right hand side kick stand.

I have heard of wet sumping but the bike does not smoke at start up. It does leak while riding but I don't know if that is constant or just after start up.

I have noticed something really odd about my C15. After riding, it will not leak oil for two days but then starts to leak at what I beleive to be a constant rate. It seems like there is some type of internal leak that fills up "something". Once that "something" fills up, it starts to leak externally. Oil accumulates on the bash plate so I can't find the exact source. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? This bike does have a right hand side kick stand.

I have heard of wet sumping but the bike does not smoke at start up. It does leak while riding but I don't know if that is constant or just after start up.

Your bike is wet sumping, there is a small bleed hole in the inner casing on the right hand side. Once the oil reaches the point it generally seems to come out the kick start shaft seal.

I have found (on my B40)if its left on compression it takes longer to wet sump.

There are two ball valves that may be passing, one at the pump itself, the other behind the big hex nut to the front of the engine below the exhaust.

What oil are you using ?

The springs on the ball valves are probably past there best, the balls/seats may be pitted.

How much does it matter to you ? Just start it more often !

I'm using straight 40 wt for everything. This is a new assembly so the balls and springs are new. However, there was some corrosion and pitting on the cases so the seats may not look so good. This is a 1960 so there is no kick start seal. It sounds like you recommend living with it.